Rusted Exhaust Bolts. How to remove?

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
I'm trying to replace my rusted muffler on my 91 teg, but the bolts that connect it to the center pipe are completely rusted and aren't budging even after some WD40. What can I do to get these bolts off? and does anyone has a link to but 2 new bolts for the new muffler once i get these off?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
hardwear store my friend,. Try PB blaster, it works better, but i did xjoenx's cat and his were rusted, i used a long breaker bar wit another bar on the end for more leverage.

R13

The other asshole
I break them with a torque wrench.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Exhaust bolts are usually a lost cause. Just break or cut them and replace.
Or you can try heat. Mapp gas and oxygen torch FTW.

Mike61096

If i'm using a 9/16 socket, does that mean the bolt size is 9/16? I wanna know before I go and cut off these old bolts and make my car not drivable until I get new ones to install the new muffler.

DeAngebro

Foster
If i'm using a 9/16 socket, does that mean the bolt size is 9/16? I wanna know before I go and cut off these old bolts and make my car not drivable until I get new ones to install the new muffler.
Your exhaust bolts shouldn't be an American size... No bolt on your car should be an American size.

Mike61096

Your exhaust bolts shouldn't be an American size... No bolt on your car should be an American size.
Well, I was using a 9/16 socket to try to remove them, and it pretty much fit, It slipped a bit, but i had grip.

99TegLs

I took mine off with a vice grip, a harbour freight brand torch, and a short sledge hammer. A lot of places just use grinding wheels if they can get it on a lift.

dopematic

PB blaster like Samurai said. Find any long bar and use as leverage as a breaker bar. Some improvisation goes a long way.

Also, grab some Anti-seize for your new bolts as well.

Mike61096

Never mind, i figured out that these bolts are to join a catalytic converter and exhaust manifold. Damn...I already blew $10 for nothing and my car is all jacked up, but I cant do anything until I get these bolts off