s2000 cluster project

plummo_vtec

How about you konerri,you were making hellish progress then dried up a little hope you have not given up as i would be interested in producing your circuit board when finished no offence to anyone else but it was konerri's thread which has alot of published info on his build to date.

Kschwiggy

hey guys... i've been following this thread for the past month or so and I'm using it as a guidebook for installing the s2k cluster in my honda accord... you guys have done some great work here so far and i really appreciate all of the disclosure.

i had to take a different approach for the indicator lights, since the 2006 accord instrument cluster receives most of its information in a multiplexed data signal rather than seperate wires for each indicator... so i picked up a 2nd accord instrument cluster circuit board and wired LEDs to each one which feeds into the s2k. so far so good.

i am hitting roadblocks with the VSS and ECT though. I have zero prior programming experience.. just some electronics courses I took in college. given enough time I can learn, but it's still really tough stuff. I have a pic programmer borrowed from a friend and I will be using picbasic pro to program.

after measuring the vss signals in my accord... i came up with the same 39:1 frequency ratio that you had in the integra.. so I just need some help programming.

orthello... i saw your source code you posted in one of the earlier threads... do you have an updated version you could post please?

here's my progress thread so far in v6performance.net
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1489750&posted=1#post1489750

thanks in advance for all of your help

orthello

The Dutch Guy
Kschwiggy... You used only the internals of the accord cluster as beeing some sort of a converter/demultiplexer, or do you have specs of the multiplexed signal?

I have two bits of working software. It's written in PicBasic and it's a very very basic from a functionality perspective.

Part one reads the VSS signal, measures the time/period, calculates the corresponding frequency to be send to the S2000 gauge and set the PWM module accordingly (always with a 50% duty)
It has some precautions for the first and last incoming VSS pulse, as these should be treated a bit different. eg... you don't know when an incoming pulse is the last one. So a time out is needed.
Also you don't know the speed when the first pulse read. So from the second pulse output will be generated to the gauge.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Part two is ECT stuff. It reads the voltage using an A/D input.
Then (based on some "switch...case" rules) the low and high time of the ECT output signal is set.
High is alway 30ms. Low depends on the measured voltage on the A/D input.

I'll post the two parts when I'm home today. But that will be in about 9 to 10 hours from now.

About that ECT thing... I had an idea lately.
The second part could be extended with a second A/D input and a toggle button. This way you could add an oil temp sensor. But in this case... be aware of a different temp/voltage curve to be added.

I only own the free PicBasic version, so I'm limited to just 50 lines of basic code.

Last edited:

orthello

The Dutch Guy
I read your thread at V6P and want to add some info here for you.
Signal specs:
VSS: already figured out, right?
ECT: got the timing table to get X number of segments?
Fuel: 0 to 100 ohm resistor.
RPM: standaard signal from ign module. (4 stroke engine!!!)

Kschwiggy

I read your thread at V6P and want to add some info here for you.
Signal specs:
VSS: already figured out, right?
ECT: got the timing table to get X number of segments?
Fuel: 0 to 100 ohm resistor.
RPM: standaard signal from ign module. (4 stroke engine!!!)
thanks for the info on the software... i spent the past few days trying to rig up a working code based off of your first draft of code from before but without having all the components (ex- schmitt trigger) i couldnt test it.. so most likely I will just run with the code you have and use the 16f877a..

i saw the timing table but wasnt sure exactly how its applied in terms of coding.. you measure the period for the ECT signal and then just use the lookup table to drive the number of segments? so then i take it you have the lookup table saved in the processor memory.. .or do you just ouput the timing to the s2k cluster and the cluster drives the segments?

as for RPM... I have a v6 so ign is no good for me.. i'll have to make a converter for that too to just multiply the ign signal by 6/4 I believe.

looking forward to seeing that code!

is your cluster working perfectly now?

Kschwiggy

oh and in regard to your question about the demultiplexer----

what i did was just use the accord's instrument cluster circuit board to demultiplex the signal and drive the indicator lights..... but those indicator lights are on extended wires and installed intto the s2k cluster if you check out the pictures in my thread.... so the s2k is pretty much just a different face for the accord cluster.

this way was much easier for me because otherwise I would have to hunt all over in the car for the signal wires for things like the door open and trunk open indicators.... everything is multiplexed in my car unfortunately for this project.

with the setup i have now... the whole thing is essentially plug and play into the accord instrument cluster harness, only 4 wires are tapped right now for power to the s2k cluster.

orthello

The Dutch Guy
Ok... her is my final source. ECT and VSS are split up in two seperate programs. There is a testECT.bas and testVSS.bas. Both are used for the 16F877A

Also defECT.bas and defVSS.bas are in the rar file. These contain the same software, but for a different (smaller and more specific) procesor.

Please do redistribute my code by your self, only link please. Or at least mention my name. It's probably not the best code, but still I'm a bit proud of it. Just because no one else was willing to publish anything.
source code

With this versions I have done about 500km of road testing without any problem.
In the VSS software there is a line for when you use the 4 divider at the output and a line for straight output to the s2000 cluster. Both line have comments. The 4 divider line is active now. But can by toggeled by setting a semi ; and recompile.

Note that some comments in the code are in dutch. Sorry. :D

If you have suggestions to improve things... please let me know.

WRT the ECT gauge. It uses a 0~5 volt dc signal on an ADC input. This is the voltage coming from the ECT sensor (the one used by the ECU is the best) Just T-tap it.
Then the converter outputs the PWM-ish signal to the S2000 cluster. The 30ms high and xxxx ms low thing.

So
INPUT: 0~5 volt dc
OUTPUT: 5v PWM-ish (30ms high. 150ms to 1500ms low)
with 150ms beeing hot (all sgments) and 1500ms beeing cold (one segment)

Last edited:

Kschwiggy

Please do redistribute my code by your self, only link please. Or at least mention my name. It's probably not the best code, but still I'm a bit proud of it. Just because no one else was willing to publish anything.
i totally understand.. i'm not looking to make any money on this project or claim anything as my own.. i've just had a ton of fun working on this so far and will link my thread to here since you and koneri have done so much work on it and i've seen koneri's datasheets on a bunch of other forums haha - good call with the watermark on them

i assume you are still using the same circuit diagram you posted originally? you mentioned maybe adding a few more capacitors.. but that stuff I can probably figure out myself once I get the components in and start testing i'll chime in

Kschwiggy

i think i might learn some dutch from working on this project too haha... the knowledge keeps growing and growing..

i'll most likely go with the smaller processor files instead of using the huge 16f877a

for some reason picbasic pro returns a bunch of errors when i try to compile the .bas file... also doesnt recognize dim, dword.. and a few others as commands.. wierd, I would assume picbasic PRO would recognize everything from the lower versions and then more. whats the name of the compiler you used? im searching around for *the* free one

orthello

The Dutch Guy
My devenv comes from Crownhill. It's called Proton.
http://www.picbasic.org/proton_lite.php

The final circuit diagrams are more ore less the same.
I only added a schmitt-trigger and RC to the input for the VSS.

When I have time.... I'm not sure when exactly... I'll draw some new diagrams.
Maybe even do the complete write-up in english with drawings and all. But when?!?!? :p

NOTE: This VSS converter is based on and tested with the old (< 1990) reed style (ground switched) VSS sensor. I'm not sure if this may cause problems in your situation. Because the reed-style VSS is ground switched I added a pull-up resistor to create a 0~5 volt square. To debounce/reshape the signal I added an RC circuit with a Schmitt-Trigger. This way I was able to produce a very clean 0-5v square.

Last edited:

plummo_vtec

tried looking at your source code mate but cant open rar files is there another file type you could pm me with so i can see if this helps me build my own converter if you can this will be a very exciting moment for me cheers

konerri

sorry about not updating lately.... i don't have a car to work on so the motivation is not there to finish this project right now. I've already given all the information you would need to program a working unit if you knew how to program. Plus, orthello seems to have some really good ideas too.

Kschwiggy

looking for the frequency divider at the moment... did you get a DIP one or SOIC?... I can't seem to find any that are DIP

or did you construct one from flipflops? if you have the part number you used that'd be awesome

edit: i just found and SOIC one and will probably get an adapter socket for it

Last edited: