S3 and S4?

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I am going to be doing that very soon, I haven't yet since I bought the car, is that a thing like changing the oil?
Yeah... You should probably have it done ASAP. A transmission fluid change is similar to an oil change, but it's for the transmission, not the motor.

LivingAlone@17

Ahhh, yeah, i will probably do that tomorrow then lol. I just change the oil today, It was blacker then my tires. It runs so much better now.

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
^This and obviously driving around using three gears instead of four will hurt the fuel economy, keep the rpms much higher etc. I use D3 when I preload the automatic and then floor and have the computer + my foot downshift it to 2nd and my car will take off like a bat out of hell (Given the power it has when compared to normal). But none of that is good on your car or trans.
well before RPMS are even considered look at the gear ratios. any overdriven gear is going to give better gas milage but obviously youre not going to accelerate as fast.

S4 and drive have the same shift times(information provided by Acura)

how ever instead of the traditional planetary design honda uses the same internals as a manual, just with an added valve body. this is why we recieve a full selection of gear(aside from first, probably to meet emission standards troughout the line up for the years.)

and fluid pressures do more work than the computer does in an automatic.

and the kickdown valve(what causes the downshift for passing) is there to allow for your refered accelorationso its not to bad on it. the biggest enemy for an automatic transmission(or transaxle like ours) is improper fluid changes and not rebuilding it properly and not catching problems as they occur.

also note that automatics do better from standing than downshifting. the stator allows for TQ multiplication and gives us a little more pull(this is why many drag racers use automatics with high stall TC's)

jugglost

i just tested out this s3 vs s4 vs d and omg ! talk about torque. i was suprised at my lil DA. she cruises pretty smooth in drive, but then i switched to s4 for some highway driving and droped down to s3 and she took off like a rocket. the rpms reved high as hell, but i got that power too. i agree wit the downhill thing to. popped into s3 on a hill and i barely had to brake at all. the motor did all the work.