Safe for auto tranny?

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
Hey guys. Just wondering if this is a safe setup for a auto 2nd gen teg. Power chamber intake. Dc sport 4-2-1 header, 2.5" exhaust w/o resonator, spark plugs and plug wires. Also My car is stripped and im taking out my cruise and my ac. So will this be safe???

jdean41

i would say so......why not just five speed swap it.....it takes like an hour if you have a place to do it.....

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
I am going to do a 5 speed swap. I just dont know whats a good price for one! II know I have to get a new ecu and cv shafts and a master cylinder if its a hydraclic trans. I want a gsr trans.

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
you could pick up some nology or magnecor wires.
as for plugs, iridiums would be your best bet.
Ill have to check those out!
As for a tranny how much can I expect to by a used one for? and when I get one is there some kind of inspection I can do? to make sure the gears and the synchronizers arent bad?

Last edited:

jdean41

ive found gsr trannys for anywhere from 150 to 500. just depends on how many miles are on it and whos selling it really. i prefer the ys1 tranny myself. I like the taller gearing

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
if you are to buy a used tranny, rebuild it. you never know how good the condition is or how long it'll last. or even what they've done to it.

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
if you are to buy a used tranny, rebuild it. you never know how good the condition is or how long it'll last. or even what they've done to it.
What would the estimate be on that? I do my own work. What all do you do to rebuild a tranny? Just new gears and syncronizers?

Prozon

Kris
Gears, synchros, seals/gaskets. Used transmission on craigslist for probably $150-250. Rebuilt kits can be kind of hard to find. (Well i've had a hard time.) Less than $400 for a YS1 Rebuilt Kit. If your doing it yourself. I got a quote from a local shop and it was $1200 to rebuild it.

As for the original question, well you should be fine with an auto trans.

Also, if you can do an auto to manual swap in an hour you've got some skill. I might be able to pull the trans, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe put the same one back in with an hour.. but I doubt I could do a whole swap in an hour lol.

Last edited:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
from what i know, yeah. that should be it. but im sure theres more to it than just that.

if you want to keep it auto and not go thru the trouble with the swap, you could upgrade the torque converter
if my teg was auto, id definately do this upgrade simply because i never heard anyone doing this for the streets.

www.level10.com

ive been reading up on these things for a while because ive got to replace the one in my wife's civic in the near future. im not going to get an upgrade or anything. just an OEM replacement.

i also stumbled upon this as well. i know its not a honda, but its an auto S13 with a high stall tq converter. actually sounds legit.

[YOUTUBE="auto S13"]Ly11Vu2JCo4[/YOUTUBE]

whats crazy is that he still spun the wheels a bit off the line and no neutral-drop/brake-rev

jdean41

me and 2 of my buddies literally done a full swap in a bout an hour, maybe a little more but it wasnt much longer. We each done seperate things to make it go faster because one of my friends had just purchased the car and we had 2 days to get it ready to run an autocross event. In 2 days we five speed swapped it, pulled the head and rebuilt it with all new parts as well as pull the block and replace the rods and checked the crank, put in new axles, coilovers and slammed the dog piss out of it and he went out and won the event lol. lesson learned, being in a hurry sucks!