safe for the car to drive while rear brake lines are plugged?

teg_your_it

one of my rear brake line is leaking and will leak all of the reservior overnight. im in the process of the take it out and replacing it with braided lines, but i need a car for now.

so is it safe for the car to drive if i use one of those stopper bolt and plug one or both rear brake lines at the four way joint that goes to the rear calipers? will it mess up the abs system or any other electrical sensors or systems?

i know it will unbalance the brake power of front and back but ill be using the hand brake too.

thanks.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
uh probably not safe
but i guess since the majority of braking is done up front its technically okay...probably safer if you know how to heel toe

scubajosh12

91 Integra
do not drive your car with a leak in your hyrdaulic system. you are putting your health and others at risk. screw getting a fancy line just go buy a part to make sure your safe.

njhustler

Drive slow , brake early and avoid highway speeds and you should be ok for a little while. As long as you block off the ones your not using.

teg_your_it

thanks for replies. i keep thinking the abs will go bad or some sensor will get retarded. if im able to remove the hard lines this weekend then i can get it done sooner than i thought. still depends on the rust.

do not drive your car with a leak in your hyrdaulic system. you are putting your health and others at risk. screw getting a fancy line just go buy a part to make sure your safe.
i going for the fancy lines because they make this particular job easier to do. if you want to replace hard lines you'll have to remove the subframe. to remove the subframe you'll have to remove A LOT of other stuff too. braided lines are a little more flexible to work with. thanks for replies.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Imagine a plane with a hydraulic problem, it's not going to work right. You should finish up replacing the lines before you drive it. Safety comes first on the road.

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Replacing a hard line with a braided hose=a big no-no. Get a piece of hard line from your auto parts store of choice for like $8, a couple unions for like $6, and get a loaner flare tool kit. Replace the bad section of line, bend it as you go, route it elsewhere if you really can't get it in the stock spot. it's a pain in the ass, but will actually be safe.