safety ratings

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Consumer Reports gave driver side front crash test rating a half red circle, which they say = Moderate injury likely. Half red circle is basically a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the best rating. Driver side front crash got a empty circle, which is a 3. Pretty average ratings overall.

ishavedmyballs!

I have no lunch money
I was in an argument with a guy who drives a 2000 Saturn SL and couldn't find any info on integra on the net. Thanks BTW he thinks his car is safer because its plastic, he literally said that. The only reason the new cars are safer and more plastic is because technology advancements made it possible to make a stronger frame with less metal aand they have like 8 airbags now. They should just do like demolition man and have the car shoot foam out that hardens

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I have some back issues of Consumer Reports Annual Auto issues, including the 2000 issue. According to that, sorry, it says the Saturn got better front crash ratings. The L-Series got a 4 and 5, driver side and pass side. The S-Series got a 5 and 5 - best scores possible. They don't list a Saturn SL, just these two, and an SC Series (didn't get tested). It doesn't say if they tested the models with Traction Aid, which was an option I guess. No 2000 Integra's or any Saturn's came with side air bags. ABS was also an option in 2000 Saturn's, it was standard in all 2000 Tegs.

2000 Integra got driver side 4, pass. side a 3. But yeah, a car sure as hell isn't gonna be safer because it has more plastic, lol. Bottom line, GM's are generally pieces of crap, driven into the ground by decades of financial abuse by the Unions. As far as plastic, cars are being forced to be comprised of more plastic because ever increasingly stringent emmissions laws and forcing manufacturers to make lighter and lighter cars to meet the requirements. Some of this loss of safety through weight loss is being offset by improving technologies in an array of areas including improved emergency braking, and other areas, but in the end the Laws of Physics always win. CAFE Standards have killed tens of thousands of people since they were implemented who would have survived their fatal crash if they were in a larger car. CAFE Standards also brought about the creation of the SUV, and also pretty much killed the station wagon, because when CAFE standards were created, SUV's weren't an official classification of vehicle, so they didn't fall under their rules, hee hee.

Last edited:

OLDSKOOLACURA

The Saturn's plastic body just makes it Less likely to be damaged in a fender bender. Doesn't help any for an actual crash

Posted from my garage