Salvage Title?

rancidhooligan

Grand Sport
Is there any way to tell, other than asking the owner, why a vehicle had a salvage title? I mean, specifially what happened to the car? (flood, hail damage, accident, etc.)

Thanks.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
car fax will state if the vehicle was in an accident, and where, as well as what portion of the vehicle and what police department filed the incident

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
While CARFAX is a great resource for finding out information on a car, I wouldn't totally rely on it. It is only as good as the information provided.

If the car was in an accident and damages totalled less than $500, it is normally not reported to CARFAX...same goes with accidents where the driver leaves the scene (they are obviously not going to report an accident that they left).

Also, not all dealerships/garages will report maintenance records to CARFAX.

What CARFAX is 100% good for is telling you how many owners the car has had, where the car came from (state-wise), any auctions it went through, etc.

I really would not recommend getting into a salvaged car. They are quite hard to sell once the time comes for you to get rid of it, and the car has a history of "sugar coated damages" in one way or another.