Scale of 1-10

hamfacekilla

on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to change a head gasket? i have a 96 GSR b18c1 and the head gasket is leaking in the corner underneath the vtec solenoid. anything i can do to fix this without swapping head gaskets? i have no problem pulling the head off but then the timing will be all F'd up when i go to put it back together. any help would be awesome, thx guys:)

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
You can try to re-tighten the headbolts. Sometimes it wor ks, most of the time it doesnt.

but I give a headgasket job a 7.5 out of 10. It sucks b/c of all the shit that needs to come off in order do to it. Get a manual, or a friend.

hamfacekilla

like i said, i can pull the head. thats no problem, its the reassembly that i might not be able to pull off lol does anyone know the going rate for a job like this? how much might a shop charge me? my dead could do it for me but he's oober busy. 8urcivic, you should come fix it for me :) lol jk, how much would you charge?

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
for him to drive from va to michigan to do your head gasket i would imagine would be a costly repair... a shop might charge you 500? that could be low

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
like i said, i can pull the head. thats no problem, its the reassembly that i might not be able to pull off lol does anyone know the going rate for a job like this? how much might a shop charge me? my dead could do it for me but he's oober busy. 8urcivic, you should come fix it for me :) lol jk, how much would you charge?
At the shop I used to work at we charged around $350-400 for an integra head gasket. There's a lot of PITA work involved (cuz of the DOHC) but it's honestly pretty straight forward; if you have any mechanical skill you can probably do it yourself. Just make sure you label and keep track of all the cam hardware and you'll be ok. And torque everything properly!