Second opinion on a '92 GSR

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
So my friend is buying her first car and she is looking at a '92 GSR. Upon a test drive the car was amazing (I loved it) but she couldn't drive it because she doesnt know how to drove stick shift yet. I'll be teaching her when she buys a car.

The bad:

The inspection done by a mechanic is as follows:
No daytime running lights
No high beams
No parking lights
No marker lights
It needs an alignment
No catalytic converter
Bushings, ball joints, and control arms are going
Back bumper brace/mount is rusted out
It was pressure tested and lost 7lbs
Heater isn't working
Transmission pan is possibly leaking
Possible oil leak
Timing belt was done once or twice, no idea when it was done last..bad

The good:

Full sound system: 2 10" subs and all redone speakers
Cold air intake
Lowered
Interior redone

Asking price is $5,000 and we talked him down to $4,500.
235,000km. This is in Canadian dollars.

I personally say no and back off. It's a ticking time bomb. I think it's hilarious how much he's asking with how much is wrong with it. Feel free to laugh.

98IntegraRS

That's ALOT of bad, and 4500 for a 92, gsr or not....... you can get a clean 3rd gen gsr for that with minimum to no problems.

Prozon

Kris
That is way way way way way to much.
Unless you can do ALL those repairs yourself, your going to be spending A LOT of money fixing them.

I'd pay like $2000 MAX for it. That's just me.

To the non-canadians, thats aboot 146,000 miles on it.

whitedc4

i don't think those goods over power the bad. clean gen2 gsr's are hard to find but they're not unicorns you eventually can find one.

sylvaner01

haha i love it how the good lists a stereo system =D please dont get sucked in to buying a car just for an aftermarket product.
Some of that stuff sounds like a prety quick fix, wheel allignment, bushing ect, but as for the leaking stuff that will cost you an arm and a leg. I just got my engine semi rebuilt, including replacement of all the seals and belts. This cost me $700AU, if you choose to buy this car the engine isnt your only problem either, you have to work out why those lights arnt working and figure out how to secure the bumper before it rusts off! to me this sounds like a pass, especially for the price they are asking, to me it sounds like the person who owned the car cared more about compfort then if the car is going to be running in 5 years.

Good luck mate

WOW! just read.. 235,000KM??? dude i'd pass for sure, especialls for that price, find a teggy that a granny owned and you will be fine for sure!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
That car sounds like shit, and how the hell is the transmission pan leaking, there is no pan.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
buy stock and build it yourself. youll appreciate it better and usually find it in better condition.

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
That car sounds like shit, and how the hell is the transmission pan leaking, there is no pan.
When the mechanic told me about the pan I was really confused (didn't know there was one either)..he said it was damp and possibly leaking.

Im not buying it and my friend (person who was looking to buy it) will also not be buying it.

I bought my '90 GS for $1,500 granny owned with only a small tear in the seat. It runs like a champ :)

Thank you guys for all your input, I expected everyone to say no :p

Last edited:

mattness

Wow! thats a definate rip off. Do not buy that car. sounds like a nightmare to me. I picked my 92 gsr up 8 months ago for 3300 canadian and its mint. Only had to replace both cv axles a battery and an alternator which is regular maintenance pretty much on an 18 year old vehicle.

I paid a lot less for my 93 GSR than that, and mine didn't have near that many issues. $4500 is way too high.

There is no pan for the transmission, nor should the car have day time running lights, so you can take those two problems off the list. lol

Rich-PMS

There's no tranny pan..

I'd suggest taking it to another mechanic.

4500 is 2k too high!

Got any pictures?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Yea, that's extremely overpriced I'd say. And just as caution, when you see several things wrong with it, chances are other things may be wrong to, or close to going wrong. Just be cautious, if you buy it, expect to put a bunch of cash into repairs.