Serious electrical problem. Or false light? NEED HELP

datzik

... I've managed too stumble across a very annoying problem ive been having for past few days. Battery/alternator light switches on and off. Particularly when over 3500k but never at idle or below 3500k. The battery is tested at 12.6v, obviously good. Running voltage is around 14.5 v at idlle and drops to 14.3-4 with accesories on, which i believe is normal? Grounds are good, connections are tight and non corroded. I've been keeping tabs on the voltage with dmm every morning before i leave for work (car off) check again (car at idle) everything checks out. But mid trip usually at cruising speed (65-70m.p.h) it pops on momentarily then off then on then off etc. Get to work check with it running this time its sitting at 15.3ish at idle and off the batt. voltage was at 13.6. Drove it home batt popped on again a couple times then stayed of for remainder of trip (roughly twenty miles) and it stopped after about five milles. Get home and voltage with car off and idle are 12.6 off and 14.4 on. Appologize for the long post but was the only way i could describe the current problem. Im going too bang my head off a wall soon. I would take the alternator out but you guys know how fun of a job it is too take out and put back in ;D Any thoughts/ suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I am truely stumped. Thx guys. Oh, and btw if it matters replaced alternator roughly 6 months ago (correctly done lol) with refubished unit.

maddogg20

check your alternator belt, and make sure that the nut on the alternator pulley is tight because it could be slipping.

SbS91TeG

Banned
Mine has this same problem but sometimes it dont come on at all sometimesw it goes off with acceleration.....read on other sites sayin it could be a interal voltage reg problem but my running voltage and base voltages are in spec and only when its cold does it have a hesitant startin issue.

Ill check my pulley bolt but if its tight what else could be the problem. I am a new member and this is my first post and pretty much the reason I got on CI since no one else can give me a answer.

scubajosh12

91 Integra
the voltage regulator is a huge thing to be thinking about if your battery is running up past 15 volts. but being a refurbished part it could start to malfunction in hotter conditions or higher rpms. id replae my alternator

SbS91TeG

Banned
Yah mine hasn't gone over 15 volts with engine idlin or at 2000 rpm but my light comes on sometimes also I've tested battery and alternator with a vat 45 and our new tester both saying good so idk?

Update: My car wouldnt start today after driving it for a while with the battery light stayin on, flashing and stayin off, jumped it fired rite up battery light didnt come on durin warm up or the whole drive cycle also allow it to run for a bit before shutting off. I found the single white wire with pinkish connector left and up of 3 terminal connector not being used on mine on exposed part of underdash fuse panel. Does anyone know if wire that has anyithing to do with the charging system.

Last edited: