Setting in engine in time

osiris19

Yesterday, I went to replace my oil pump. I lined everything up at TDC, and marked the belt, can gears, and crank. Upon taking the belt off, it seems that the intake can jumped two or three teeth. When I try setting the up mark back, as soon as I let go it snaps back to about two or three teeth forward. The 8mm punch hole doesn't line up when I love the gear straight up, but will if I let it snap back. Seems like the gear itself is off but that doesn't make any sense.

When putting the belt back in, I followed the helms manual for retightening the belt. When I turn the crank, the intake can wants to jump a tooth every rotation. Almost like the belt is getting hung up or the tensioner isn't tightening. I have to go back up to school tomorrow sometime so any help is appreciated. I'll take a picture of my cams then in a little bit.

Nick_C78

As long as that hole lines up where you can lock the cams in place it is tdc. But if I were you I would pop that cam gear off and inspect the key.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I think its just user error. It takes a bit of practice to get it right, that's all. Stake the cams with a 5mm punch and rotate the crank pulley to line the teeth on the tbelt. Sometimes its helpful to back the crank off a tooth so when you rotate it to tighten the belt its tight right on TDC, instead of after and then redo'ing it. Again, practice makes perfect.

Only tighten the tensioner bolt where there is belt tension on the exhaust side (you can feel the cam lobes) - this puts all the belt slack on the intake side so the tensioner can take it in. Do not rotate the crank more than a few degrees without the tensioner bolt tight.

And the cams are snapping to either side bc one of the lobes is pressing on the rocker and the springs are providing tension.

osiris19

Belt is on and both cams line up now. Its a new belt and tensioner. There's a bit of slack on the compression and exhaust stroked.

osiris19

Alright, at it again. I threw a rod and got a new engine. Swapped eveuthing over including my new belt and tensioner. Went to put the belt on with the engine out of the car and everything was good. Now that the engine is in the car, I went to do a valve adjustment and I saw the crank pulley was moved. Both cams pointed up while the pulley was about two or three teeth advanced past the single white TDC mark. Not sure how that happened so I removed the covers and started tinkering to get it back in time. My predicament is that I got the belt on, but there is a lot of slack between the cams every time I rotate the crank. It will get loose, then tighten up. I'm also having trouble getting the belt to fit over everything.
Timing Belt Slack Problem: http://youtu.be/6D69vuNAy90

Nick_C78

Do you have the gsr belt, but the ls water pump?

tamboo

cheap@ss
move the slack over to the tensioner area then tighten the tensioner bolt a bit so it will stay in place when you pull up on it from above to take out the slack. then torque to spec.