Sheriff pulls me over on FWY

DOHCtor88

Anti-Drag racing crew #07
I was going home on the 91 West from work. I had my cruise control on 75mph on the fast lane cruising with the flow of traffic. The sheriff cruiser was in the 3rd lane cruising and I passed him by. He went right in front of the other car that was behind me going the same speed and pulled me over. I was 2 exit away from getting home. I've exit and parked in the parking lot, he comes out and asked me "do you know how fast you were going"? I respond 75mph flow of traffic, and he said you passed right by me. He asked me to step out of the car and I gave him my license and ect. He asked me if I had been drinking and I said no, I just got off of work. He asked me where did I live and I said pomona and the car does not belong to me it belongs to my brother. I said I was going to drop off the car at my brothers house and have him take me home to Pomona. He asked me where did I just come from, I said I just got off work from my parents shop in Colton off of Mt Vernon. He walks to his car and radio in something... He comes back and ask me hows my first name pronounced, I said Damradary. He said SLOW IT DOWN, I already radio in ur car to the CHP, so if they see you speeding they will pull you over. When he left and I was pissed at him for wasting my damn time cause he's a shiriff not a CHP to pull me over from the freeway, I'm sick and I just wanted to get home take my medicine and go to bed.

IMO I think its stupid just to pull me over going 75mph because CHP would not want to come and just write me a ticket for that, because I had CHP cruiser and motorcyclist drove past me before when I was cruising 80mph late at night in the fast lane. Anyways if CHP came and were to write me a ticket, I would've fought it and they both will have to show up to court. I think its just too much of a hassle and a headache for both of them.

Anyways my DC5 is still under my brothers name because the insurance is cheaper and my drivers license is still rigister at my old house in Pomona where my cousin's are now living at.

Last edited:

tisguy

Well at least you dont have to deal with fighting a ticket. CHP can be aholes some of the time. And a better excuse for going 75mph in their terms would be "I was only obeying the Ca basic speed law" from dmv website it states: "22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property." so if traffic conditions allowed 75, than 75 is okay.

DOHCtor88

Anti-Drag racing crew #07
Well at least you dont have to deal with fighting a ticket. CHP can be aholes some of the time. And a better excuse for going 75mph in their terms would be "I was only obeying the Ca basic speed law" from dmv website it states: "22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property." so if traffic conditions allowed 75, than 75 is okay.
Sounds good! :thumbs up I'm going to use that if I get punked by them again. I only go 75-80mph at night when traffic is clear and in the day I cruise 65-70mph.

Aik68j

Expirence = Mistakes Made
Nice Idea to use that but the cops I am used to dealing with and grew up with some. The next words are "are you getting smart with me boy?" any answer before after and above will make them pull the book out and start writing and once it is written it is done. Sorry to say Harrasement is part of life in these here United States of the Dollar. They might even start the say how low is that car, the headlights look out of alignment etc.... Unless you can pull a badge you then can quote law to them.

tisguy

Nice Idea to use that but the cops I am used to dealing with and grew up with some. The next words are "are you getting smart with me boy?" any answer before after and above will make them pull the book out and start writing and once it is written it is done. Sorry to say Harrasement is part of life in these here United States of the Dollar. They might even start the say how low is that car, the headlights look out of alignment etc.... Unless you can pull a badge you then can quote law to them.
Well I'm not suggesting to say it in a rude way. Just when the officer asks if you know how fast you were going, instead of stating the speedo's reading, you just quote that you were traveling at a safe and reasonable speed according to the basic speed law.

for CA residents: http://ticketassassin.com/visorguide.html , that works well. I dont know about other states though.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
That's not right cuz Sherifs can't pull you over on the freeway like that. Only CHP. Fuckin pig!

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
When he left and I was pissed at him for wasting my damn time cause he's a shiriff not a CHP to pull me over from the freeway,

IMO I think its stupid just to pull me over going 75mph because CHP would not want to come and just write me a ticket for that, because I had CHP cruiser and motorcyclist drove past me before when I was cruising 80mph late at night in the fast lane. Anyways if CHP came and were to write me a ticket, I would've fought it and they both will have to show up to court. I think its just too much of a hassle and a headache for both of them.
I bet you would have lost, too. I suggest you familiarize yourself with California laws before jumping to the conclusion that Sheriff deputies cannot pull you over on the freeway. Sure, CHP officers are trained to specialize in highway patrol, but I, personally, haven't come across a law that states highways are out of a Sheriff deputies' jurisdiction. They all work under the State. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Q: What is the difference between a Sheriff's Deputy, Police Officer, Highway Patrol Officer and the State Police?

A.: All four are peace officers and are authorized under the California penal code with identical police powers anywhere in California.
^ I googled that.

Let's be honest...you aren't mad because a SHERIFF pulled you over -- you're mad that you got pulled over at all, no? I would probably be a little irritated myself. That comes along with the territory, though. I'm not usually a preacher, but don't break the law if you don't want to deal with the consequences. It's common sense.

For the record, CHP could ticket you for going anywhere over the speed limit. Most won't if you're going 5-8MPH over the limit, but they could is my point. Speedometers aren't always acurrate, so I like to think that 5MPH (give or take) is fair. Even then, you have to accept the risk that you COULD be cited if the cop wants to make a point. Try going 80MPH at the end or first of the month when they're more "motivated" to hand out a citation. lol Just because you haven't ran into one that has pulled you over for 75-80MPH, it doesn't mean they won't next time, just to prove a point.

Going with the flow of traffic helps you "blend in" with everybody else, but remember that officers usually pull over only ONE car at a time. You're just playing the odds. Don't be upset if it's YOU they focus on.

Yeah, there is such thing as a "Basic Speed Law," but you can't always look at what you WANT to see and interpret it for how you hope it to be and all of a sudden it's right or will hold in court. The last part in the Basic Speed Law: "...and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property." If you're exceeding the MAXIMUM speed limit, that's endangering the safety of persons/property. It doesn't matter how "in control" of your vehicle you think you are. You're not in control of everyone around you, things in the road, etc. Speeding increases your stopping distance, as well. They don't post speed signs as a courtesy to you. It's what the State has determined to be the safe speed limit for that road.
Laws and Rules of the Road
Speed Limits
California has a "Basic Speed Law." This law means you may never drive faster than is safe for current conditions. For example, if you are driving 45 mph in a 55 mph speed zone during a dense fog, you could be cited for driving "too fast for conditions." You may never legally drive faster than the posted speed limit, even if you think it is safe to do so.

Regardless of the posted speed limit, your speed should depend on:

The number and speed of other vehicles on the road.
Whether the road surface is smooth, rough, graveled, wet, dry, wide, or narrow.
Bicyclists or pedestrians walking on the road’s edge.
Whether it is raining, foggy, snowing, windy, or dusty

Source: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs19thru22.htm

Sounds good! :thumbs up I'm going to use that if I get punked by them again. I only go 75-80mph at night when traffic is clear and in the day I cruise 65-70mph.
Wouldn't it make more sense to speed in the daytime when you could actually see everything instead of at night just because "traffic is clear," in your opinion? It's California...there are people out at all times. My risk of dying shouldn't increase simply because I happen to get on the right road at the wrong time.

I won't lie. I speed on the highway a lot. If I ever get a ticket, it will probably be because I deserved it, though. Speeding is speeding, regardless of what time of the day it is and who's around. It's unsafe to other people and to yourself. However, if you do speed, don't bitch about it when you get caught. With your attitude about the whole situation, I personally think he let you off easy. :twocents:

Last edited: