Short ram gas problem?

dbroncosb

I'm new as a member but frequent user of CI. First place I come when I need help on my teggy. Anyways I need help with my 96 SE. As a beginning mod I decided to put on a short ram intake and replace the stock. I put on a DC sports SRI but I have noticed a severe drop in gas mileage! Over the 2 days of having the intake installed I have consumed almost half a tank by just going nearby around the city! Why is my MPG so low? How do I fix this?

atomic_peach

I remember having to reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. If I remember correctly, your ecu is fueling the car as if you had the stock intake on it, but you are throwing more air into it than normal (so it throws in more fuel). Simply disconnect the battery and it should rewrite the curves as you drive it. You'll still get a little less mpg, but it shouldn't be drastic.

dbroncosb

I read somewhere not to rev engine when you reset the ecu, but somewhere else I read you want to push engine so that the computer can adjust in all the rpm ranges. Any light on this idea?

atomic_peach

I noticed no difference when I had reset it a few different times for different jobs (I had an icebox intake, though). The main thing is to drive it how you'd want to drive it so that it learns those curves (i.e. don't drive it like a grandma for 500 mi then expect it to perform otherwise).