should I change my oil?

dc2_

should i change my oil? lol my car burns alot of oil like maybe a quart in a week n a half

i just keep adding oil its been like 7k miles since ive changed my oil cuz i dont want to change it if its just gonna burn it up really fast.

im planning on a rebuild in a few months but wat u guys think?change or not?

speedin

The Transporter
You need to change it, and if your burning that much oil you need to fix your problem. Something is seriously hemorrhaging oil.

4drturboteg

I am a turbo freak :P
either way the filter needs to be changed after so many miles and you might wanna look into new piston rings because that might be your problem

speedin

The Transporter
I would change it filter every 3k miles and drain oil ever 6k

but that's just me though.
I mean if you drop the filter you mine as well change the oil :???:

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Make sure you change the crush washers when you change your oil too. That small drip adds up over time. Oil pan gasket leaking? Maybe the cam seal? That is a lot of oil to be burning, hopefully some of that is leaking.

dc2_

nope im not leaking anything

and im going to rebuild the whole motor in maybe less then 6 months..so im not worried about that

i just dont wanna spend more money if its just gonna burn it.

i guess ill change it one more time

mirrorimg

Changing the oil every 3k when you are burning it up and adding a quart or more is pretty useless. Maybe some people arent understanding that you are adding to the depleted oil with new oil, and you essentially never have any oil in the motor that has 3k miles on it come time for a change.

I would replace the filter around the recommended service time.

I would go through a quart every 350 miles or so. My car gobbled up oil. I would top it off every week, and oil changes were extended to 5000 or 6000 mile increments until my rebuild.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Changing the oil every 3k when you are burning it up and adding a quart or more is pretty useless. Maybe some people arent understanding that you are adding to the depleted oil with new oil, and you essentially never have any oil in the motor that has 3k miles on it come time for a change.
That is one way to look at it.

The way I see it though, if the oil is getting passed the rings to burn up that bad, then you can imagine that there is lots of blowby occuring which contaminates the oil and filter at a much much faster rate than in a healthy engine.

speedin

The Transporter
That is one way to look at it.

The way I see it though, if the oil is getting passed the rings to burn up that bad, then you can imagine that there is lots of blowby occuring which contaminates the oil and filter at a much much faster rate than in a healthy engine.
Yes and the way I see it the worst of the oil isnt going to be hanging out on the cyl walls getting burnt....

Simply put if you burn oil that bad its time for a rebuild, you shouldnt be going another 3,000 miles on it.

Last edited: