Should i confirm with the tradeoff?

92_JDM

okay, someone wants to trade their b17 tranny with a ls/gs tranny. currently my tranny is a b18a1 tranny. They would like to trade with me but i would have to put $100 on top of it. is it worth it? i havent drove the b17 tranny yet but said it doesnt grind or pop-out. i currently have a b20b in my car at the moment.

DarkDB1

I had a B17/YS1 short geared transmission in my DB1. Acceleration was a little bit better and faster then all of my other friends' DA's and DB1's because her revs will shoot up and down significantly quicker then the standard LS transmission (I also paired it with a Exedy stage 2 clutch and fidanza 7.5LB Flywheel). While it was neat with the tachometer dropping down to 0 between every shift and quicker acceleration, I paid for it in gas mileage... She devoured gas because the RPMs stayed high on the freeway. To the point where my passengers who were somewhat car savvy would flip out that the RPMs were so high thinking something was wrong with it... I don't remember where 70-80MPH was on the tachometer though since it has been 3 years.

If you don't use a lot of highways or can afford worse gas mileage, Go for it if it's legitimately in good condition.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
Just make sure its a B17 tranny

92_JDM

hahah ill make sure its a b17 tranny. will i travel on the freeway everyday to school and its 8 miles from my house. but i dont go out of town as much..

dlo253

If its in good condition got for it. b17 tranny on an ls makes things a little funner. Especially if you get an lsd

92_JDM

If its in good condition got for it. b17 tranny on an ls makes things a little funner. Especially if you get an lsd
if i were to get it, it would be a b17 on a b20b lol

92_JDM

damn thats pretty high hahah. but i was wondering since my b20b redline at 7000 rpm, getting the b17 tranny wouldnt change that right?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I had a B17/YS1 short geared transmission in my DB1. Acceleration was a little bit better and faster then all of my other friends' DA's and DB1's because her revs will shoot up and down significantly quicker then the standard LS transmission (I also paired it with a Exedy stage 2 clutch and fidanza 7.5LB Flywheel). While it was neat with the tachometer dropping down to 0 between every shift and quicker acceleration, I paid for it in gas mileage... She devoured gas because the RPMs stayed high on the freeway. To the point where my passengers who were somewhat car savvy would flip out that the RPMs were so high thinking something was wrong with it... I don't remember where 70-80MPH was on the tachometer though since it has been 3 years.

If you don't use a lot of highways or can afford worse gas mileage, Go for it if it's legitimately in good condition.
Bro, as I admit, having a 9lbs flywheel w/ b16 gearbox makes the revs drop, it's not nearly that dramatic, lol

92_JDM

okay, im planning to deny the offer because gas IS going up where i live. but is it possible to tune/rechange? the gears on the tranny?

dlo253

Its not that big of a difference. Its still a Honda, MPG is fine... yes u can change the gears. But if u did that just do it to ur current tranny. They are the same externally so if u changed out the gears it would defeat the purpose.