Should I wrap my Headers!

teg21

I was wondering if it would be a idea to wrap my headers. Or not....Please tell me what you think. Thanks:)

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Header wrap helps, it just doesn't look the prettiest. If your not concerned about looks then by all means go for it, theres no cons outside of cosmetic to doing it

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Sure it keeps engine bay temps cooler, but it does that by keeping the heat inside the header pipes and not letting it escape into the atmosphere. So instead of the headers expanding due to the extreme high temperatures (metal expands in high temps), it will swell inward, causing the pipes to actually get smaller causing a "slight" restriction in exhaust flow. The wrap restricts the pipes from expanding outward and instead swell internally. Wrap is normally used for turbos to keep from burning the shit out of components to close by. Wrap won't hurt you incredibly, but isn't really necessary. Stick with a ceramic header.

mirrorimg

Sure it keeps engine bay temps cooler, but it does that by keeping the heat inside the header pipes and not letting it escape into the atmosphere. So instead of the headers expanding due to the extreme high temperatures (metal expands in high temps), it will swell inward, causing the pipes to actually get smaller causing a "slight" restriction in exhaust flow. The wrap restricts the pipes from expanding outward and instead swell internally. Wrap is normally used for turbos to keep from burning the shit out of components to close by. Wrap won't hurt you incredibly, but isn't really necessary. Stick with a ceramic header.
More likely for the welds to fail due to the retained heat on low quality headers than what you mention.

mohawk42s

you also have to consider that when the wraps get wet they stay wet for a while...
so with a low quality header you will see rust

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
i just wrapped my header and i talked to a few shops and the one thing they agreed upon is that it does wear a header faster...but if you have a good quality header then the header will still last a while...its not like if you put wrap on that the header welds will break after 2 weeks (like i said with a good quality header)

the other thing is that do not spill oil on header wrap...the oil can soak in and then catch fire...just warning you

Ultra Havoc

Why would you want to wrap your exhaust?? The whole point of heat wrapping is to protect electrical components and reduce air intake temps/keep engine cooler

Only beneficial thing that comes to mind is exhaust gases exiting at a higher speed due to the high temps

01FTW

Header wrap absolutely will fuck up your header in time. I had header wrap in my old Si and after about 2 years it was so badly corroded it was fucking nasty. The problem is that it traps moisture between the header and the wrap along with the constant heat and over a period of time the steel eventually goes to shit.

Really the benefits of wrapping your header are a joke. Just leave it bareback..