Shredded Timing Belt Damage?

JSETH

Hello everyone... first post here. I love Integras! Have had a few now... my newest acquisition is a near-mint 1999 GS-R... completely stock! 55k miles on it! Owned for the first 12 1/2 years by an older guy in Oakland, CA; when he died, the car had 35k on it, garaged, just superb... next owned by a younger guy in central Oregon, who put 20k on it in a year and a half... and now me! It came to me with an inch and half thick stack of ALL the work that the old guy had done to it, through the Acura dealer in Oakland...

So, first thing I did was to replace the timing belt; it had not been done, ever! Not in 14 years... I couldn't believe that the fellow from whom I bought it didn't do it immediately... so, I have mechanic get a "real" Honda/Acura belt for it, despite the increased cost... he also adjusted the valves, put a new wiring harness and distributor cap on it, along with a new set of plugs.

The car ran so well, so smooth, the drivetrain is absolutely perfect on it! I don't put that many miles on my car nowadays, but I did run up to Portland and back (I live in Corvallis, OR.)... not a wrinkle in the performance, just purred along...

Thursday night, on my way to a music gig, car loaded with PA and guitars and dog, in a torrential downpour... and I'm about 2 miles from my gig when I hear this GOD AWFUL NOISE, from the driver's side of the engine compartment... because I had JUST (360 miles previous) replaced the timing belt, I thought, "Okay, it ISN'T that... " but it was obviously related to engine r.p.m., not vehicle speed... so I decided to push on to my gig... no lights, no nothing on the dashboard to indicate a "major" problem...

I made it another 150 yards before the engine quit completely... never made any sort of loud sound, no grinding, no nothing...

After it's towed home and my mechanic friend looks at it, it's apparent that the high priced Honda belt SHREDDED in tow halves, lengthwise, and then broke... at this point, the local Honda dealer is taking the stance that it's the mechanic's fault. That doesn't seem like the case, mostly because it ran absolutely perfectly before it shredded...

Thus far, we've ascertained that the valve clearances are all in spec; the pulleys, tensioners and water pump are all like new... one of the cam sprockets is scored, between the teeth, pretty much all the way around, but the other cam sprocket is pristine...

What else should I look for, as far as possible damage to the engine from this event? I don't want to put it all back together, fire it up and find out that I have just totally ruined this wonderful little engine!

I feel like a total idiot, of course... especially if I've just trashed such a prime example of this model. My '96 LS just got stolen from me in Portland at the end of July, and I felt really fortunate to find this one.

Any clues as to what else to look for, or what else should be tested, BEFORE putting it all back together again?

Thanks, in advance! (sorry for such a lengthy first post...)

drive on...................................................>

John

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It sounds like the Honda dealership didn't install the tbelt or else it would be warrantied. It likely something was contacting the tbelt, causing it to shred. Look at all the pieces around the belt, the tbelt cover, valve cover, everything within an inch of the belt and look for rub marks that would proof of contact.

1994 Integra

It seems possible that one of the shims on the crank pulley. Between pulley and gear could have possibly been installed incorrectly. Or not at all. Causing the belt to rub. Just an idea. If you're not feeling like taking a look yourself. I would advise on dropping it off at you're dealer.

JSETH

My mechanic saved the original belt when he replaced it... there was no undue wear on it, but I elected to have it replaced anyway... this car has been driven so little that the insides of the engine still look very new. The water pump turns like a brand new one...

I'll check for any sign of rubbing or marks that might indicate that... the car's in my garage now, and the old belt has been removed. Thus far, the only signs of damage are to the camshaft gear/pulley; the teeth have scoring marks between them.

Is it possible, advisable to simply "smooth" out the marks on that sprocket/gear and continue to use it? I don't know if they are balanced and removing even a slight bit of mass would throw them out or not...

Thanks for the feedback so far... another friend suggested I call Acura Customer Relations and see what they have to say; I plan on doing that, first thing Monday morning.

Anything else I should look for, in the way of internal damage? My mechanic said there is a test, similar to a compression test, where air is blown into the head through the spark plug holes, and that this would tell us if a valve is bent? As I mentioned in my original post, the valves were adjusted when the timing belt was replaced, and they are still very close to where they were set... all of them are exact, excepting one which is .001 off of where it was set. Does this mean anything as to any possible damage?

Thanks again for your feedback... my knowledge of engines stems from experience in the mid-60's with Jaguar, Aston Martin, Austin Healey, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Lamborghini, when I worked for my Dad's Aston Martin mechanic. Times have changed a bunch since then!

1994 Integra

Don't do any types of tests until the belt is back on the engine. Timing is set. And make sure you check the tensioner and make sure the pulley isn't seized. Along with the water pump.

Physh1

On the crank gear there is a washer that goes on after the gear. It's got a cupped shape to it like ). I forgot the name of it but it's there to keep the belt in check & keep it from drifting. IF, & I mean IF, it the cupped face was installed facing the engine vs away from the engine it could easily tear/rub/destroy a belt. This would not likely happen immediately but take a little while.

I would not really blame the belt...if you can get a free one out of Honda that more power to you. Sounds like something went awry with the install.

Cameron

hndapowr

I also think ur mechanic might have installed something wrong. Hate to c this happen to such a low mileage motor. Hope everything turns out ok.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I'm pretty sure that something was done incorrectly during the install. Namely the guide washer between the crankshaft pulley and the belt drive. Installing it backwards (easy mistake if you are not paying close attention) will cause the guide to point inwards and rub against the belt, causing it to shred and break.

These cars have interference engines so valve damage is possible should expected when a timing belt breaks, especially if the belt broke while the engine was under high rpms. Once another belt is installed and timing is set, get a compression test done. Can't really test the valves for damage without a compression test.

Physh1

Namely the guide washer between the crankshaft pulley and the belt drive. Installing it backwards (easy mistake if you are not paying close attention) will cause the guide to point inwards and rub against the belt, causing it to shred and break.
That's the washer I was trying to explain...thank you!