Signs of timing belt needing to be replaced?

Tokyo_Drift

Hey I bought my integra with 180,000km, and the guy says he replaced the timing belt on it, but I doubt it. What are some signs it needs to be replaced?

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
Is it worn? Is the timing messed up? Does it generally look like a piece of crap?

mjones73

Pull the valve cover off.. Search will turn up some how to's.

97GSRVTEC

Cant really judge it just by looking at it. Look at the lettering on the belt to see if its worn off. If it is worn off then thats a good sign to change it.

mjones73

If you're not sure of the mileage, you may want to do the belt and water pump just so you know how many miles are on it.

mirrorimg

There really isnt any good way to check the timing belt to see if it needs to be replaced. It could look perfectly fine like it was just changed, and snap tomorrow.

If you are unsure that it has been changed, then switch it yourself.

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
you cant go wrong just by replacing it... better SAFE than SORRY... trust me... happened to me on my last car

like nike... JUST DO IT

speedin

The Transporter
BAM! ............................ *silence*

Thats the only sign, and unfortunately its a bit late then. If you cant find the last record of the belt being changed its time to change it. All the above mentioned signs are best guess, and when it comes to the timing belt thats the last thing you want to be doing. Just change it and spend a few hundred now instead of a few thousand later.