TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
Im in the market for a radiator and my choices are-
Skunk2 alpha or Mishimoto. Both dual cores all aluminum full size

Now Mishimoto is $320+
Lifetime warranty

Skunk2 $182 plus tax, free shipping
idk what warranty.

Now i know mishimoto is "top notch" but Skunk2 is very reputable as well and more than $100 cheaper

Does anybody own a skunk2 alpha radiator?
Any cons/pros?

Nick_C78

The skunk2 is higher quality than mishimoto. Mishimoto is overpriced recycled cans. Far from "top notch".

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
The skunk2 is higher quality than mishimoto. Mishimoto is overpriced recycled cans. Far from "top notch".
That just pushed me over the fence, i will be going with skunk2 alpha radiator.

Ganyon- ebay radiators I hear will bend and warp due to heat cycle. Bad welds and cheap materials. Thanks for the suggestion tho

Nick_C78

Ebay are hit or miss. I have had some work and some fail. For a little more spring for skunk. Skunk has come a long way in the last 10 years and moreso in the last 5.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
Hi Guys,

Our radiators are not made from "recycled cans". May I ask why you feel this way? I personally ran one in my JDM front sedan Integra for years with absolutely no problems. Prior to that, we had a 1/2 radiator in my Civic with a JRSC D series, then a H22 swap and didn't have any issues. IIRC, Samurai (super moderator) is sponsored by us and runs a bunch of Mishiimoto parts on his car.

Also, the $320+ price you see is the MSRP. There are numerous vendors, including the one directly on this site for ~$240.

http://www.clubintegra.com/store/mishimoto-performance-radiator-mmrad-int-94_p40.html

And to confirm, the Mishimoto unit comes with a lifetime warranty. Feel free to let me know if you guys have any additional questions.

Thanks
Pat

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

Mishimoto rad survived this impact at Laguna Seca. But oddly the warranty doesnt cover this, but it covered a single car accident on the road...Not sure what the difference is besides one has a police report but on an open road and the other was on a closed course.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Hi Guys,

Our radiators are not made from "recycled cans". May I ask why you feel this way? I personally ran one in my JDM front sedan Integra for years with absolutely no problems. Prior to that, we had a 1/2 radiator in my Civic with a JRSC D series, then a H22 swap and didn't have any issues. IIRC, Samurai (super moderator) is sponsored by us and runs a bunch of Mishiimoto parts on his car.

Also, the $320+ price you see is the MSRP. There are numerous vendors, including the one directly on this site for ~$240.

http://www.clubintegra.com/store/mishimoto-performance-radiator-mmrad-int-94_p40.html

And to confirm, the Mishimoto unit comes with a lifetime warranty. Feel free to let me know if you guys have any additional questions.

Thanks
Pat
Call it like I see it. I also have that associate sponsorship with you guys and don't use any parts...proves nothing. Everyone gets that sponsorship. When I contacted about a radiator after mine died I was told there was a 3 month wait time on a new one... it was probably bad luck timing, but still. It happened. Also they just feel way cheaper than others, but hey the polish job is nice. Don't even get me started on your fire hazard oil coolers.

I don't have a grudge against mishimoto, but I do promote better quality parts when people ask these questions. Sorry.

Nick_C78

Oh and you left out the word "limited" for limited lifetime warranty. Be careful with that. Samurai is a good example of what happens when it comes to warranties

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11794574_10154086535379348_7624626761841349036_o.jpg

Mishimoto rad survived this impact at Laguna Seca. But oddly the warranty doesnt cover this, but it covered a single car accident on the road...Not sure what the difference is besides one has a police report but on an open road and the other was on a closed course.
Hello! We offer the accident protection simply as a courtesy to our customers. We understand that not all accidents are avoidable. The police report helps us determine the cause of the accident. Unfortunately, if a police report cannot be provided, it's difficult to warranty out the customer. Do you have a report from the track detailing the accident? If so, I can see what i can have done for you on this case.

Call it like I see it. I also have that associate sponsorship with you guys and don't use any parts...proves nothing. Everyone gets that sponsorship. When I contacted about a radiator after mine died I was told there was a 3 month wait time on a new one... it was probably bad luck timing, but still. It happened. Also they just feel way cheaper than others, but hey the polish job is nice. Don't even get me started on your fire hazard oil coolers.

I don't have a grudge against mishimoto, but I do promote better quality parts when people ask these questions. Sorry.
Hi Nick, as with many companies, warranties are subject to availability. We make sure that all warranty backorders are shipped out prior to any others, regardless of order date. Additionally, we have made many changes in the background with Ordering and warehousing to prevent this from happening.

You are more than welcome to send us a PM if you have issues with an oil cooler as well. We will do our best to help you out.

Thanks,
Pat

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I don't know any company that would warranty a part damaged due to an accident, that's hardly their fault. I've had experience with numerous Mishimoto parts on my DB2, temperature was spot on always. The radiator seemed like an ok piece, I didn't have any trouble with it but I only ran it for a short time. The fins did seem rather thin and I would worry about it as a daily driver if you live somewhere with lots of road debris. I didn't like the cooling fans, they were cheap, and the mounting kit I purchased from them was s***. Most of the zip ties snapped within a couple drives.

I haven't dealt with any skunk2 parts recently so I can't vouch if they got "better." But all aftermarket radiators I've had over the years have been hit or miss, from Koyo, Fluidyne, Behr, etc. Best one I had was a PWR for my M3. Just make sure you purchase from a company with a good warranty, who will respond in a timely manner, and get you a new one should it spring a leak.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Hello! We offer the accident protection simply as a courtesy to our customers. We understand that not all accidents are avoidable. The police report helps us determine the cause of the accident. Unfortunately, if a police report cannot be provided, it's difficult to warranty out the customer. Do you have a report from the track detailing the accident? If so, I can see what i can have done for you on this case.

Hi Nick, as with many companies, warranties are subject to availability. We make sure that all warranty backorders are shipped out prior to any others, regardless of order date. Additionally, we have made many changes in the background with Ordering and warehousing to prevent this from happening.

You are more than welcome to send us a PM if you have issues with an oil cooler as well. We will do our best to help you out.

Thanks,
Pat
It was at a track day before NASA West Coast Championships, so no. Only have driver and flagger accounts, which say the car hit the tire barrier while the car was still air born, the car initially dropped a wheel off on a semi damp track before turning into 6 which resulted in the car not turning into 6. The car was then repaired for West Coast Nationals, and won TTE by a fairly large margin.

Nick_C78

Glad to hear mishimoto realized they had an issue and made changes to prvent the issue. However, it still made me go elsewhere.

My concern was with the quality though as they are really soft. Aussie is right though, any aftermarket radiator, or part in general, is hit or miss.

Ehhh its easier to just buy a setrab oil cooler than try to rectify issues with a cheaper unit. The issue was on a 350z I worked on though. A simple google search showed numerous accounts of people having issues with the coolers on many different forums. Especially the frs/brz guys.

I appreciate you taking the time to speak with us though. That is one benefit to mishimoto that I can't argue with and thats their involvement with the car community.