Skunk2 IM made me slower?

cyanide95

ok heres the deal ...last time i went to the track i was running 10.30 on an 1/8 mile with mods include short ram intake,4.2.1 headers, high flow cat with twin loop muffler......and my 95 LS is gutted on the inside plus no ac or power stearing......and now ab an hour ago i ran again but i just put on a skunk2 intake maniflold pro series and a aem fuel rail and a cold air scoop in the grill that conects to the short ram.....now im running 10.60 what the hell is going on ................do i need tuning or what ........PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!:x

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
im assuming you are stock because you didnt mention cams. the intake manifold ais holding you back most likely theres too much air for that motor.

mirrorimg

You put an aftermarket intake manifold, and a larger fuel rail... on an internally stock motor. What did you think? Every mod adds power just because its aftermarket?

OEM fuel rail is capable of handling all of your engines needs. People use stock fuel rails for boosted applications. Aftermarket rails are for bling.

As Dylan said, your engine cannot make use of the extra air trying to be pulled into it. Spend your money intelligently and buy some cams, cam gears, and get a tune. Then those supporting mods will be of use.

cyanide95

You put an aftermarket intake manifold, and a larger fuel rail... on an internally stock motor. What did you think? Every mod adds power just because its aftermarket?

OEM fuel rail is capable of handling all of your engines needs. People use stock fuel rails for boosted applications. Aftermarket rails are for bling.

As Dylan said, your engine cannot make use of the extra air trying to be pulled into it. Spend your money intelligently and buy some cams, cam gears, and get a tune. Then those supporting mods will be of use.
THANX BUT what kind of cams and cam gears bc i dont want to blow out my bottom end

mirrorimg

Blow out your bottom end? What do you mean, like cracking it open to bore it out/upgrade pistons? Or blow it up by messing something up?

Only way youre going to damage the bottom end is by over-reving it, or with oil starvation.

For the top end, you are limited with an LS. Brian Crower, Crower, JG, Crane (out of business) all make non-vtec cams. Its up to you how aggressive you want to go (if its a daily, I wouldnt exceed crower 403's, or brian crowers equivalent BC0022) I believe those are similar, you need to look up the specs to make sure. You can get into the beefier crower 404's, but they are not DD friendly. With aggressive cams like those, you are going to need to upgrade the springs.

You can also do a LS/Vtec swap, but then your intake manifold wont fit, and your intake will sit to high to bolt up to the GSR intake manifold.

heykosal

Angkorian
Basically, you have decreased the velocity of the air going into your engine because of the larger plenum in the aftermarket IM. Because of the decreased air velocity, your cylinders aren't being filled as effectively/adequately to make more power. But because of this, it's also possible you're actually making less power than with the stock IM.
The fuel rail isn't doing any harm, but it's not doing any good neither.
And do you think maybe it ran a little slower because of heat soak?

BTW, next time please title your threads better.

cyanide95

i dont want to go vtech i might later but i just want to make it beefier without going too far money wise bc ive got another ls block im going to start building later...got any suggestions

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
getting heat soaked pretty much means the air that your engine is drawing in is getting hotter then normal before entering the engine. thus providing less power

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
well like heykosal said.. the larger IM is slowing down the air coming in from your intake. because its trying to force alot more air through the stock ports. pretty much means air is getting stuck in your IM before it goes into the engine and heats up..

DAs_an_DCs

previous posts are def correct, your under modded for that skunk 2 IM.

also "cold air scoop in the grill that conects to the short ram" this can actually hurt power if it is a direct connection ram intake, sometimes the air turbulence in not helpful at lower speeds (under 100). If u look into ram intakes they produce only a small amount of air pressure (psi) and its only at a very, very high speed.