sleeving a block is it worth it?

steelies_ftw

if you detonate isnt it gonna screw stuff up anyways? even if the walls are thicker? and around how much should u expect to pay, and ive seen a lot of people write that they have stock sleeved LS turbo builds that withstand about 20Psi, is that possible or are they just lying, well i thought id ask

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm not a fan of open deck block design. If you are building the internals anyway, then why not do it. It definitely helps the strength and durability of the cylinder walls at high rpm or high boost. It helps prevent the cylinder walls cracking and cylinder bore shifting or distortion under lots of extra load. Detonation can still screw things up even with the stronger sleeves, but it's extra insurance against that. Just tune it good so you don't have to worry about detonation

steelies_ftw

dc2GS-R said:
I'm not a fan of open deck block design. If you are building the internals anyway, then why not do it. It definitely helps the strength and durability of the cylinder walls at high rpm or high boost. It helps prevent the cylinder walls cracking and cylinder bore shifting or distortion under lots of extra load. Detonation can still screw things up even with the stronger sleeves, but it's extra insurance against that. Just tune it good so you don't have to worry about detonation
thx, but also how much would i be lookin to spend on sleeving a block??

B18TEG

BLACK DA
stock block can handle up to like 15 psi max and 10-12 pushing it daily. i would definitely consider sleeving, and if you dont have a gsr or type r block getting a girdle

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
how much can the GSR and Type-R hold on a daily Driver?

twlplague

even if you detonate and you have sleeves if it screws anthing up, at least you wont have a giant hole in you block, might get lucky and just have to replace a sleeve and rod hehe.
i've seen 20psi w/o sleeves on an ls....there is a guy here who does it...i wouldnt do it but his motor is still intact

legendinch

Wheelman
sleeving...

I've blown a couple of motors. Now whether you want to spend the $$$ on sleeving is all entirely on you. I was told by a number of mechanics that you don't really need too because your going to spend extra $$$ on it and if your going to blow... your motor your going to blow your motor. its all about building your block, regular maintanance and not over boosting. :)