Slipping automatic transmission

floridian

1994 Integra LS, 213,000 miles, one-owner car: The automatic transmission has begun slipping. It slips just slightly going from second to third gear, but significantly when shifting from third to overdrive. The transmission goes in and out of Reverse just fine. I have already replaced the transmission fluid with Honda ATF (the transmission was not flushed). This did not have any effect. Obviously, given the high mileage, the transmission is wearing out.

The car is still drivable. If I use a healthy acceleration, and after it shifts to 3rd, let off the gas a bit to plateau the speed, the transmission will go into overdrive alot easier. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the slipping of the transmission get progressively worse over time? Or will it just stay like this? If it will get worse, will it get worse gradually, or worse in spurts? Has anyone tried the additive ‘Lucas Stops Slip’ in an Integra automatic transmission?

(I’m aware a transmission rebuild will cure this problem, but a rebuild will cost between $1,500 and $2,000, and the car will only be worth about $1,000 after the rebuild work, so that doesn’t make sense. Putting in a manual transmission is not an option.)

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jeffbel

1994 Integra LS, 213,000 miles, one-owner car: The automatic transmission has begun slipping. It slips just slightly going from second to third gear, but significantly when shifting from third to overdrive. The transmission goes in and out of Reverse just fine. I have already replaced the transmission fluid with Honda ATF (the transmission was not flushed). This did not have any effect. Obviously, given the high mileage, the transmission is wearing out.

The car is still drivable. If I use a healthy acceleration, and after it shifts to 3rd, let off the gas a bit to plateau the speed, the transmission will go into overdrive alot easier. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the slipping of the transmission get progressively worse over time? Or will it just stay like this? If it will get worse, will it get worse gradually, or worse in spurts? Has anyone tried the additive ‘Lucas Stops Slip’ in an Integra automatic transmission?

(I’m aware a transmission rebuild will cure this problem, but a rebuild will cost between $1,500 and $2,000, and the car will only be worth about $1,000 after the rebuild work, so that doesn’t make sense. Putting in a manual transmission is not an option.)

Thanks for any information you can provide.
I had the same problem with mine. The Lucas helps, for a little bit. Your best bet would be find another auto trans with lower miles and swap it. The slipping will only get worse