Slowly but surely! (My Build)

Jeffaj20

Hey guys, never fully introduced my self on here but I'm going to definitely have more activity on it now. My names Jeff and this is the progress i've had of my car since day one. I just pulled it from another forum, so here it is raw. I don't get butthurt over opinions so say what you want good or bad, rather get some feedback then none at all.

DAY 1: 1/12/2011

Hey guys, so for awhile now I have had a DB1 but always had a love for DA9s. But, over the weekend my dad and i got a deal that we couldn't pass up. It was a 1992 Integra DA9 with 205k miles, and the girl that had it, had already moved on to a different car cause, she said it would overheat and 3rd gear was hard to get into and that she hasnt driven it in awhile.

Today i cleaned it out and washed the carpet and of course to pictures :]

Of course it has some cosmetic issues, It looks like the roof and hood clear is peeling but wont be hard to fix :] Also, she had this controller hooked up for her PSP, and unfortunately DRILLED HOLES through the dash to hide the wires :ugh: There is also a small dent on the trophy piece above the bumper on the driver side.

Cleaning the engine bay

Engine bay :]

Vacummed and waiting to be shampooed

Whats a integra hatch with out carpet rot.... lol

The holes in the dash, oh yeah they also had a sticker under it thats what the giant ugly block is. Just need some goof off and should be good on that part, but as for the holes.... Anyone have ANY ideas to make them look reasonable?

And the lovely top of peeling clear coat...... a simple sanding really, still a neusaince.

oh and the hood

Now heres the dent on the filler piece, right under the driver side tail light.

Besides the hood, the roof, the trophy, and the dam dash, i'm quite impressed with this car.

Now I want your opinions on the car and some ideas with what to do with it, also I paid $200 for this jem. Thanks in advance folks!

2nd Update: 02-18-2011

So, i picked up these lights from a guy looking to get rid of them. Got them for $50! and the are cleaaaaannn! good buy amber corners, hello 50/50!

3rd Update: 05-13-2011

Switched exhausts with my old 90 4 door integra before i sold it to my friend.
sold it to him 2 months ago for $2k and yesterday he ran it out of oil, never had i heard a car screaming for someone to end its life until that day. Never again do i want to hear such horror lol

waiting on seeing what he wants to do with the car junk or put a new engine in, cause if hes gunna junk it he said i can have whatever i can pull out. So im gunna salvage the crap out of that car and have a nice leather interior haha

Picked up the leather seats from the car, so now i'm sitting pretty in a nice leather bucket seat lol

4th Update: 06-09-2011

Got these rims the other day (for free) and i am impressed, cept i only have 3 dammit, so trying to find another one/or two.

Just a test fit btw, to see how they'll look on it! :thud:

Had to junk the other 2 since they were cracked :*( so now i either gotta find 3 more or sell this one. Its life, oh well.

5th Update: 09-20-2011

Well, I haven't been doing much. I went to the dentist to get my wisdom teeth removed (luckily only born with 2) so that's taking my money atm. But I did put on the valve cover I stripped, and i must say, I like it.

6th Update: 10-19-2011

I was searching through Craigslist and found a guy with a brand new Emusa GT28 turbo for sale or trade.
So, i offered him my old gaming computer which still does pretty decent.
I got the computer for free, and just upgraded most of the internals I had laying around the house, so not a dime was spent to make it. (which i kept to myself lol)
Anyways, I met the guy and he was really chill, and when we traded, he said, "want a blown turbonetics t3/t4 turbo as well? I don't want it."
It was a "tough" choice to accept a $800 turbo with bad seals for free.... haha
So now I have 2 turbos, 1 new and the other "blown" turbo, with no shaft play, my dad and i are positive that it just needs new seals, but who knows.
I'll find out soon enough lol Great day lol

Also, the Emusa turbo needs an internal wastegate actuator, thats all that seems missing from it, which i can get for less than $60 on Amazon, but i might just weld it shut and go external wastegate..... we shall see. :D
(Selling these now)

7th Update: 11-10-2011

Well bad news, was at my shop and decided to look under the car make sure everything is fine.... well its not.

I noticed on the passenger side a section of oil coming from the output shaft. Well apparently the bearing is going bad since i can take the passenger axle right by the tranny and wobble it around a fair amount. There was a few drops of oil leaking from it, so we checked the oil level and it wasn't very low. So i topped it off. Looks like i'm going to have to find a used transmission soon.

looked online for rebuilt ones, almost $2000!
So, i'm going to look for used ones, and maybe rebuild this one later?
Who knows, but I do know that finding a transmission is now priority number one.
That or find another cheap car that i can drive and just take this car off the road and make it a full time project. lol

Don't suppose any of you folks have a spare b series transmission that works laying around you'd like to donate or sell cheaply? haha

8th Update: 11-11-2011

Just thought about this,

Money i've spent on car:
Car - Free
Valve Cover - Free
Exhaust - Free
Turbos (yes 2) - Free

So i've literally no money so far for my project, not bad. lol

And tires are getting bald so since its going to be snowing up here soon that'll be my other important purchase besides the tranny.

And since I work at a goodyear, i get great tires for huge discount!

Also, I've decided to make my car a "sleeper" and going to go with a water to air intercooler. Since I plan on relocating the battery, it'll go right there. See the pictures as a reference!

I'm doing it mostly because i'll get more horsepower, better throttle response, and it makes it look more stock, atleast on the outside :D

Yes, i'll have more plumbing to deal with, but I think it'll be totally worth it!

Plus, you don't really see a lot of Turbo'd Integra's with Water to Air setups

Future Purchases:

Tranny
Tires
Civic Radiator
Water to air intercooler
Charge piping
BOV
Wastegate
Gauges

^Just to name a few of course lol

What i'm going for:

Jeffaj20

9th Update: 12-03-2011

Painting my valve cover soon, going with a blue like this to match my intake. Its called metal cast blue, and i hope i get it to turn out as nice lol. Going to have blue accenting the car. While the paint on the car will get touched up cause I LOVE this Horizon grey paint color. lol

1/18/2012

COLD ASS WINTER WITH LOTS OF SNOW

Haha so funny thing, I'm not sure if y'all have been watching the news or anything but Washington got dumped with snow...

This is what i'm dealing with!

10th Update: 2/14/2012

So I finally got to look at that transmission I bought for $150 from a guy on craigslist. He said it had 80k miles on it, that it had no problems and that the only thing i'll need to replace was just the axle seals. Which was understandable.

Well it seems like the guy was truthful, cause this thing looks mint! A tiny bit of surface rust but i literally rubbed it off. The magnet at the bottom was really cruddy so i took it out and cleaned it. But all in all, it looks great!

I think i'm going to clean it and primer it grey and call it good.

View attachment 256944

View attachment 256945

View attachment 256946

11th Update 02/21/2012

Well, started looking around and found a die-cast top mount manifold that sparked my interest. Its made by SPA and looks pretty decent and has a lifetime warranty.

Pretty sure i'm going to get this. ;)

12th Update 04/10/2012

Well i was bored at work and was checking out craigslist....

Well found a guy with some 15" white wheels looking to trade. And I happened to have offered him my 12" sub and 800 watt amp I got from a friend doing an oil change...

Well, the kid bit. and we ended up trading that day! And the condition is surprisingly not as bad as i thought. Getting new tires on them since they are all bald from camber wear, but thats nothing with working at Goodyear can't help with! ;)

They are also dirty as hell, most of its just dirt. Some are scratches of course, but hey! I got new rims! Chahoooo!

Also, Dirty, like the tool box? :naughty:

Turns out they were 4x114.3.... Which are Accord rims... oh well.

13th Update 04/13/2012

Sold Accord rims on Craigslist for $175!

14th Update 04/14/2012

Got a new set of rims! For the price I sold the accord ones! And they have decent tires wahooo!

Here are pics! They are apparently Audi rims. Gunna of course repaint them and make em look good.

15th Update 05/06/2012

Well quite a big update....

looky what i picked up with about 70k miles on it! B18B1! have only looked in a bit, but it has great compression, has no clunking or anything. I will know the real health of it once we get the head off!

Found it on craigslist and the guy was leaving cross country the next day and needed to get rid of it. So I through him an offer and he called me right back and said come get it. Came with power steering pump, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and a few other random parts.

Got an engine to build now :]

Oh, and I picked it up for $150!

Jeffaj20

16th Update 06/05/2012

Got bored over the weekend, found a guy on craigslist barter looking to trade his 7" touch screen dvd for a regular radio. I jumped on it, got it installed and opened it and of course, it didn't fit.

So, since i had plans for the cnter vent anyways. I decided to go ahead and try it there. The vent was a complete B$@# to remove, but I did it.

Here's final results. Just gotta fully secure it so it will never move or be able to move without removing some bolts.

So i found this little gem on ebay for 69.99 with free shipping, fan included!

And here's a pic of the DC 4-1 header I got for $25! Yeah its a bit weathered, but it has no dents and looks straight!

17th Update 08/03/2012

After getting those, I spent most of my Saturday off and on putting them in. The header sucked cause i had to take out the front three mounts to move the engine up to make space to manuever the header in, unfortunately it wasn't enough so i dropped the subframe(?) and then it of course went right in. lol After putting it back, the header and subframe had a small half inch clearance but just to be safe, i hit it in with a hammer to make an inch of clearance haha.

The radiator was interesting, i took the old harness off my old fan and wired it to the new one and it worked great. I made a few custom mounts to hold it steady and secure. Bent the subframe in a bit where the bottom tube was ruubbing but other than that i had no problems and its working great. Just as good as the original radiator.

Here's what it looks like now.... PS: yes, I know I should've blasted it, or cleaned up the header. But I didn't really feel it necessary since I'm going to get a new mani anyways. Who knows, I might later but for now it doesn't bother me.

Oh and Saturday, i'm going to RichTuned to get my ECU chipped... yay! (hopefully)

18th Update 08/05/2012

Unfortunately, RichTuned was moving that weekend. So thats the only bad part to my weekend. But ish happens!

I still really want to work with him, hasn't been answering my calls or texts but i'm sure its just cause he's busy moving. If I can get ahold of him this week I will ride down there again to get it done.

But i'm not wasting gas thinking he will be open like last time, least it was a fun drive there with my friends. lol

19th Update 09/06/2012

Update guys!

I went to a few junkyards looking for cup holders from a taurus...... Came back with a little more!

Here's what the finished product looks!

Also, found these things called one piece headlights? Anyone ever heard of them? hahaha

I saw the integra, brand new in the lot and saw the jdm one pieces still sitting there! The best part is? I got them for $37.50!!!!

They hardly need any work. Driver side is good, passenger side needs sand and polishing, so might as well do both.

Oh, and I got them for $37.50!!!!

20th Update 10/26/2012

Overdue update!

So over the last month I was able to snag a second job, so now I have a FT and a PT job and the best part is that I get paid from my PT job on weeks between paychecks from my FT job! So I should have a significant cash flow to help push this along! Yay money! :p

So onto the dirty bits!
I just placed my order with Progress Auto for these bad boys!

I got 350/350 since I am daily-ing it, but will drive it hard on the backroads. haha
If need be I will buy a set of 250 for the rear but I really don't think that'll be necessary.

Can't wait to see how these will ride, and to actually be lowered and no longer in 4X4 mode! :thud:

Also, should be getting my rims powder coated white here within a week or so. :thumbup:

21st Update 11/4/12

Update:

So I got my coilovers from Progress.

They are the CS2s and I honestly could not be any happier with my purchase. They ride very smooth, no bounce if any. I don't have it as low as I can go, i can still go about an inch lower on the coils but i'm happy with the height and how good it looks right now.

I also got my rims sand blasted to be powder coated soon, I think i'm going to go with white. Just gotta grind down the rough spots and the curb marks and blemishes and i'll be happy.

Oh, and I installed the one pieces... tada.

So onto the pics!

Before:

After: :D

Like I said, I am really happy I went with Progress Auto. They are great group of people and have an outstanding customer service! Will definitely be dealing with them again if i have the chance!

The rims I just had sandblasted and will be getting powder coated. I'm positive i'll be going with white, but who knows haha

Here's how they turned out, they're a bit rought in some areas so i'm going to be grinding them and fixing the curbs but luckily there isn't much.

Last edited:

rayray Tëg

NOOOOOO... got to the end of this post and didn't see any wheels on yet and got bummed, awesome progress with the car so far man. Can't wait to see the wheels on the car.

Jeffaj20

NOOOOOO... got to the end of this post and didn't see any wheels on yet and got bummed, awesome progress with the car so far man. Can't wait to see the wheels on the car.
Haha sorry man, i've been slacking on that part.I just gotta take a trip a few miles north to get it done too. Might do that this week since i'm sitting pretty good atm.

22nd Update 1/29/13

So, I got bored with driving quiet....

Didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a new exhaust and if you can't tell, I like to experiment and try new things....

Well thanks to member Gamiel.mendoza, he showed me a 4" N1 spec D muffler on Ebay.
The best part? Only $27 with free shipping!
Ordered on Tuesday and got it on Friday.

My first reaction was, "DAM! This thing is huge!"

So since my cat clogged up and I didn't work on Sunday, I figured I'd fix that and then go to O'Reilley's and get some piping and mock up how i wanted it to look so I could make a pipe and weld it.

WELL.... it fit so perfect the way i wanted it that I just bought some clamps and clamped and mounted it on. Of course it's gunna leak a tiny bit until i get a real pipe welded on, It's a bit raspy from the cat delete but BOY does it sound great!

Friend said it sounds like Skunk2, but now I gotta get a cat... laaaaaame.

Here's how it looks at the moment until I get a new pipe made and welded....

^ that mount around the muffler isn't there anymore, it's hidden behind it so it looks clean now!

Jeffaj20

Well that god awful mount and exhaust clamps are gone now, and the wheels are done and on the car! I'll let the pictures do the talking!

Got a welder, a cheap one. But one to at least teach me the basics of how to weld. lol

My fat ass welding the exhaust together, sounds great, welds look like s***, as expected haha

How it looks as of now....
Only thing that's bugging me now is the faded side molding and my hood, so those cosmetic issues to fix next.

I'm running 205/50/16, rubbing a tiny bit when i turn sharp. So i wanna get some 195/45/16, which should lower me a bit too, which will be nice.

Last edited:

Jeffaj20

So.... Parts day and this is how excited I was!

I will take more detailed pictures and explain my ideas i have, but here's the overview of all that came.

Was tearing down the engine preparing to pull it, so I figured I'd try a test fit... haha
It's a Spa Top Mount Manifold

ls1adam84

I Speak Smart Ass
Nice man looks great.

I am loving how inexpensive parts are for these cars.

Already looked at turbo setups and to turbo my DA is going to be about 1/4 the price of my camaro and I am fabbing up all the hot/cold side parts.

dlo253

Nice man looks great.

I am loving how inexpensive parts are for these cars.

Already looked at turbo setups and to turbo my DA is going to be about 1/4 the price of my camaro and I am fabbing up all the hot/cold side parts.
Inexpensive? Haha some. Internals though, prices are absurd compared to Chevy parts, that come with twice as many haha. That's one thing I remembered when I started buying parts for my SBC.... way cheaper, for more power lol.

Where's a good shot of the best part of this build bro? That CHC!! And I'm thinking you need a cam seal too! :lol: