Smelling gas..

Catman

I've noticed just the other day that I started to smell gas when I'm driving. I jacked the car up on stands, traced fuel lines, I looked EVERYWHERE! I still see NO noticeable leaks and it doesn't really seem to be effecting my gas mileage. I'm just wondering what it could be.. any help?? it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Catman

Lol very funny guys but I'm pretty sure I'm not the cause or my dog haha. But seriously if anybody has some REAL suggestons then please help.

Catman

Ok thanks for the suggestions. It's weird cause it's like on and off that I can smell it while driving. I looked all around my fuel injectors and I see no leaks and that's not really where the smell of the gas comes from either.

SnowD

Honda cars of Plano sales
raw or burnt gas?
Hey i have the same problem, Raw gas has spits out my exhaust...Do you think it's cause i'm lacking a catalytic converter? also...I have an exhaust leak and it backfires when i shift at high RPM'S and misfires at idle. All sound like the signs of just an exhaust leak to me but i wanna hear your opinion on it.

Catman

My opinion on the exhaust, which I just did to mine today, find the crack and get a little exhaust repair kit for your Advanced Auto Parts for $5 and patch that sucker. It works great and it's really easy to put on there.. you just got to jack the car up first. NO more backfire or noisy sound from my exhaust now.. that may help you. As for my fuel problem, it's not an exhaust fume smell, it's a gasoline smell.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i had a straight pipe and i never shot out raw fuel, it smelled like burnt fuel and it was spitting out condensation when warming up

SnowD

My opinion on the exhaust, which I just did to mine today, find the crack and get a little exhaust repair kit for your Advanced Auto Parts for $5 and patch that sucker. It works great and it's really easy to put on there.. you just got to jack the car up first. NO more backfire or noisy sound from my exhaust now.. that may help you. As for my fuel problem, it's not an exhaust fume smell, it's a gasoline smell.
The exhaust leak on mine is more serious, It's bent where it's bolted to my header. Also when i failed inspection miserably i noticed that when the car was lifted up from the front while the car was running i actually saw gas coming out i even got a sample of it and smelled it.....*And got uber high...;]* j/k...But like what i think...It could either be my fuel injectors....spark plugs...fuel pressure on my AEM FPR is too high. and the fact that gas doesn't pass through a cat to get burned off. :???:

I think i'm going to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250740357389&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Anyone think it would be a good idea? :D

Last edited:

SnowD

Yea i don't see how you could spit raw fuel out the exhaust.
It just has to do with my car for some reason not burning the gas fully...I imagine it would be the spark plugs...and maybe this catalytic converter will help. Honestly....all i care about is passing this inspection...It's becoming a pain in the ass. :roll:

white89hatch

But with your exhaust being so hot it should get burnt up before it ever reaches the muffler. Correct me if I'm wrong.