~Smog Dilemma , 1mo Until Permit Expires . Advice ?

JayVee

2Dr Banger
Okay guys I'll try to keep this as thorough as possible . It may be lengthy , but I need very constructive advice because a month is my limit before I (don't want to) put my vehicle under non-op and fix until it is running .

I just came back from the smog shop (star smog mandatory) and these were my results:

15MPH- RPM: 1866 , %CO2 MEAS: 14.8 , %O2 MEAS: 0.7 , HC (PPM) MEAS: 33 , CO (%) MEAS: 0.03 , NO (PPM) MEAS: 2821
25MPH- RPM: 2075 , %CO2 MEAS: 15.4 , %O2 MEAS: 0.0 , HC (PPM) MEAS: 20 , CO (%) MEAS: 0.04 , NO (PPM) MEAS: 2257

Everything was passed except my NO . Now given my vehicle is pre 95' it required a evap test as well , yet my evap canister wasn't there under my battery and the lines were bypassed to god knows where . Now given this information I know my priority is to purchase a evap canister and have it connected properly . Luckily I have a mechanically inclined friend to do this for me , but here comes the next few issues the smog technician had told me . He also stated the vehicle he could here it "pop" (I wasn't aware what he meant by that) and said it was running too lean . He said it could fall under the lines of a. fuel injector issue , b. vacuum leak , c. cylinder head leak . Finally he said my CEL wasn't on so either there was a short or previous owner removed the light to show it not having any issues .

Now as far as my issue goes , what advice would you guys recommend given on what my results I've listed ? I know for a fact evap is a must , but is this what is causing high NO ? All advice welcome , I just want to be running within a month . Much appreciate :thumbup:

EDIT: I also forgot to input my FAILED check results . Here are my FAILED results:
Fail- Fuel Evaporative Controls Functional , Modified- Vacuum Lines to Sensors/Switches , Missing- Fuel Evaporative Controls , Fail- OBD System Checks

Last edited:

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If I remember correctly, if the timing is too far advanced it will result in high NOX. If it's "popping", it could be missing from poor timing as well.
- Aaron

JayVee

2Dr Banger
If I remember correctly, if the timing is too far advanced it will result in high NOX. If it's "popping", it could be missing from poor timing as well.
- Aaron
tbh after he mentioned that comment i was listening to the engine and ever so often it would make a sound as if accelerated slightly . I'm gonna ask my friend about it once he helps me install the evap canister .

Anways where can you even buy a EVAP canister ?? I've been looking on google with nothing so far even ebay . .

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
1. A lot of cars in the junkyards have evap canisters and lines intact.

Take pictures of all vacuum lines or get a diagram.

2. Get a timing gun, let the engine warm up to temp and shut it off. Turn the crank and line the timing mark on both the crank and cams to tdc. If they are off they must be realigned to tdc. Never time with a cold engine. The cold start retards timing as a type of safe mode. This will throw your timing off.

2a. Consider new spark plugs, wires, and rotor if you do choose to do this.

3. Check your afr at a shop, change 02 if necessary or get a reputable smog passing shop to do all the work above.

There's a lot that can retard timing and overproduce smog. Go over the baselines and check back in.

JayVee

2Dr Banger
1. A lot of cars in the junkyards have evap canisters and lines intact.
This I will go check at my local junk yard tomorrow thanks for that .

2. Get a timing gun, let the engine warm up to temp and shut it off. Turn the crank and line the timing mark on both the crank and cams to tdc. If they are off they must be realigned to tdc. Never time with a cold engine. The cold start retards timing as a type of safe mode. This will throw your timing off.
I'll have to see once I get my evap canister to my mechanic friend who has one to check this .

2a. Consider new spark plugs, wires, and rotor if you do choose to do this.
New plugs and wires , but my rotor might need replacement it does have a sound as if rattling coming from it . It hasn't been to noticeable , and my distributor cap doesn't have any dust .

3. Check your afr at a shop, change 02 if necessary or get a reputable smog passing shop to do all the work above.
What's an afr ? My 02's were working fine assuming because my cat was running properly . &again I have to go to a certified star smog shop not any smog shop . If I could I would of been able to pass it cough:legally:cough

JayVee

2Dr Banger
Air fuel ratio, b18bs naturally run a little rich. If your running lean it will tell you
How so will it tell me ? My speedometer doesnt have a cel I'll possibly have to paper clip and see what codes i throw .

Sent from my Integra.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Cluster. All cars have a check engine.

If it doesnt turn on at acc and off after engine started then your cel bulb is burnt or removed.

JayVee

2Dr Banger
Cluster. All cars have a check engine.

If it doesnt turn on at acc and off after engine started then your cel bulb is burnt or removed.
Correction i meant cluster lol yeah I'll double check that . Well good news is i came across an integra in my local junkyard . Must of just came in was only missing the head cover headers and intake mani . Big score for someone but i got my necessities . .

Anyhow i got the evap with the hoses , any way of determining if its good ? Came off an auto if that makes any difference as well .

Sent from my Integra.

Nick_C78

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422483633&sr=8-1&keywords=g2p

It works. I promise.

Put it in a full tank of gas, run through the ENTIRE tank. Then fill it back up with some 91 chevron and take it to smog place. If there is a line keep your motor hot. Do not let it cool off while it is waiting to get smogged.

If you do this itll pass. I had an 89 accord that was a little shit every time I went to smog and that stuff and that process got it to pass several times. Even when I was told the cat was bad.

JayVee

2Dr Banger
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422483633&sr=8-1&keywords=g2p

It works. I promise.

Put it in a full tank of gas, run through the ENTIRE tank. Then fill it back up with some 91 chevron and take it to smog place. If there is a line keep your motor hot. Do not let it cool off while it is waiting to get smogged.

If you do this itll pass. I had an 89 accord that was a little shit every time I went to smog and that stuff and that process got it to pass several times. Even when I was told the cat was bad.
Awesome I'll give it a try thanks for the link . Just need to install my evap back up then move on to this and an oil change im due for soon . Hopefully I'll pass with flying colors . Everything else did except NOx .

Sent from my Integra.

JayVee

2Dr Banger
Alright so i got my hands on an evap same year but from an automatic i didnt see a difference from a stick version but it was broken so hopefully im straight on that . Only issue is i know one hose goes to the intake mani , one to hardlines on firewall , one 1/2" one that goes directly underneath the evap canister , but the last one i cant seem to figure out where it goes .

Anybody savvy to explain where the final hose goes ? I'll try and get a photo up asap . .

Sent from my Integra.

Last edited:

randomhobo

automagic user

It works. I promise.

If you do this itll pass. I had an 89 accord that was a little s*** every time I went to smog and that stuff and that process got it to pass several times. Even when I was told the cat was bad.
I sell this at work, haven't had any complaints yet!