smog question

Nismor

So I have 98 DB8 and 2000 Gsr DC2 they both run gsr motor from my research they both are OBD2. I have a plan to k swap the DB8. So when smog time comes around I don't think I will pass smog. So I was wondering if running my DC in place of the DB would be the same? I know super super illegal but if done would that work?

Noneed2Hate

yeah... I don't think you'd be able to pull fast one like that... lol just keep your stuff legal, less of a headache that way.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Wont be able to smog the k swap or the gsr?

You can always swap a newer engine into an older car, but emissions stick to the obd of the engine.

It is illegal to swap a newer car with an older engine.

Nismor

Well what I was thinking is to have both cars on site scan the db but have the DC plugged in running the test

Nismor

Yeah I'm going to try and bar it first so I don't have to worry about this every time I have to smog

Nick_C78

What you are asking will work if you know the smog guy. My car doesn't even leave my garage when I get it smogged....I mean...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I also like to express my interest in breaking laws on the internet.

Just ref the k20, adds to the resale value of the car.

jmharding

I'm sure as long as the I/M monitors flag on the k series ecm you will be fine. I know here in Oregon you can have 2 not ready monitors and still pass with 3rd gen tegs. I don't know how it is where you are

JH

dudeskee1325

FYI, CARB law states that when you swap a motor, the motor has to be from the same model AND be the same year or newer.

Ryan659

When they say model I think they don't mean specific integras but more as passenger cars. Your can't ref a teg with a truck engine in it :lol:

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
FYI, CARB law states that when you swap a motor, the motor has to be from the same model AND be the same year or newer.
Wrong. That is a replacement engine.

An engine change is what he is referring to.

An engine change requires all original Emission equipment that the engine came with.

Then it goes for to a more thorough inspection before it can be smogged. It must pertain to the same type of car, car to car, truck to truck.

If the engine change is obd2 even though the car is obd1 for exams. The can must be converted to obd2 from the ecu to the 02 sensor. But cannot be an obd0 engine put in a obd2 car.