Smoke, Oil, and Coolant Oh My!

solid009

Yeah its not hard, did it about a year ago, its just time consuming lol. Well maybe I'll take that route

mirrorimg

The problem here is that the head bolts were reused. When stock head bolts are used, they stretch when torqued. When they are loosened, they do not return to their original shape. These bolts are called Torque-To-Yield, and should not be reused. I suggest spending the extra $30 on ARP bolts over OEM. ARP bolts can be reused over and over.

A reason you may be consuming more oil than normal could be the valve seals going bad, and letting oil seep by them. You could do those yourself if you change your headgasket. You will need a cylinder head spring compressor to get the springs back on after you pop them off though.

So my suggestion for the current issue with the coolant, is the headgasket/new rod bolts (I recommend the ARP bolts. If you ever have to take the head off again, you dont need to buy new bolts)
And if you are willing to do it, the valve seals. (You can get OEM seals for 3.08 each from the dealer AcuraOEMParts.com or get some Fel-Pro seals from the local autoparts store.)

Don't reuse the head gasket. Just buy a new one and all the new necessary gaskets. You can get away with reusing some gaskets, but not all of them. Just take the safe route and buy new ones. Also, buy new head bolts, either OEM or ARP ones.

Replacing the head gasket is not hard at all. Just double check everything, and I'm not sure if it would even work, but make sure you've the head gasket on the right way. Lol
Never reuse a head gasket. Once the head is torqued down, that's it for that one. It's a one time deal.
It definitely sounds like a bad head gasket.
Did you have the head decked when you did the last head gasket? If not, that's probably a factor in your issue. Any time a head is pulled it should be decked.

mirrorimg

Never reuse a head gasket. Once the head is torqued down, that's it for that one. It's a one time deal.
It definitely sounds like a bad head gasket.
Did you have the head decked when you did the last head gasket? If not, that's probably a factor in your issue. Any time a head is pulled it should be decked.
Pssssssssst.

Cylinder head = resurfaced
Block = decked

;)

solid009

Don't reuse the head gasket. Just buy a new one and all the new necessary gaskets. You can get away with reusing some gaskets, but not all of them. Just take the safe route and buy new ones. Also, buy new head bolts, either OEM or ARP ones.

Replacing the head gasket is not hard at all. Just double check everything, and I'm not sure if it would even work, but make sure you've the head gasket on the right way. Lol
Yeah that's probably what ill start with, and yeah its not very hard, just did it about a year ago its just time consuming

solid009

Thanks guys, looks like ill definitely be pulling off the head and replacing the gasket and head bolts. So I can do the valve seals when the head is off? How much more trouble do you think it'd be to pull the motor?