Snapped Axle?

PioneerLS

Okay so i never mess with axles so i dont know much about them. Only had to replace the cv axle in one car once a couple years ago.

I took my car to a shop to get the oil changed (im lazy) and they pushed it on the lift with some blocks, lifted it up, and told me to come out because they had bad news. They showed me that my 'cv drive axle' snapped and to replace it would be $310.

My car has 135k miles. Does this make sense? I dont recall ever replacing these on my old teg with way more miles. Input?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The CV snapped or just the boot is torn? Was it clicking before you brought it there?

PioneerLS

Clicking as in continuous while i was driving? If so, then no.
And the whole thing. I towed my car back to my house.

*edit: Just looked up a video, sounded nothing like that. everyone once in a while under certain conditions i get a very slight clunk that i think only i notice from the front end, but definitely nothing like the signs of a bad cv axle.

Last edited:

dotmpeg

Clicking as in continuous while i was driving? If so, then no.
And the whole thing. I towed my car back to my house.

*edit: Just looked up a video, sounded nothing like that. everyone once in a while under certain conditions i get a very slight clunk that i think only i notice from the front end, but definitely nothing like the signs of a bad cv axle.
That's how it starts. Look under the car and check the boots. If they're torn and there's grease everywhere they need to go.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk