So my basement caught fire last night...

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
At about 2AM, I was changing my daughter's diaper and smelled something really weird. I turned around and saw smoke behind me, and immediately investigated. I opened up the basement door and was overwhelmed with smoke. Went downstairs and noticed the insulation on the ceiling of the basement (underside of the main floor) was burning like crazy immediately above the basement door that goes outside. So I ran upstairs again, told my wife to get out and get the baby, I ran upstairs to get my oldest daughter who was already asleep and got everyone outside. I ran back in briefly to get a few critical items (food/clothing for baby, phones, ID's, etc.) and came back out and had my wife call 911 while I alerted the neighbors to get out of their houses in case it spread to their places (as its a connected townhouse).

I asked my immediate neighbor for a pot of water to go down and throw on the ceiling around the fire so that the remaining insulation would be too wet to burn, to make an attempt to slow/stop the spread of fire. When I got back downstairs, the fire had already trickled out, and didn't spread TOO far.

Now, long story short, the investigators believe that someone tried to break in, as the window was broken (and APPARENTLY, the window was broken BEFORE the fire, and had seemingly been broken from the inside, so he threw a lot of questions around about that. I had no idea the window was broken, as there is normally a curtain over the window, and I'm never down there in that part of the basement enough to notice a broken window)

Anyhow, they believe that either someone was breaking into the basement and was smoking while doing so, which lit the curtain. OR someone was down there fooling around and INTENTIONALLY set the curtain on fire in hopes of creating a major arson case. That is there preliminary guess on what might have happened. Considering that there is no wiring damaged (even the stuff that was exposed to fire), that the fire was 100% not electrical or accidental. They said there was definitely some kind of foul play going on, now they are investigating what it could have been.

Thankfully, no one was hurt, and no major property lost. The door is gonna need to be replaced, and some new insulation is gonna have to be put in, but otherwise, the damage is just cosmetic stuff.

_______
This is the ONE upside to having a crying baby in the house to keep me up at all hours of the night.

rockadilla

thats right.
Wow that's crazy :shock: lucky u were up dude.
Glad everyones ok, and nothing major was damaged

if it was intentional I hope they find the fucker who did it

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
holy shit, thank god you where awake to get every one out and call 911 in time! i hope they find who did it.

shim

i need money
Sorry to hear about the damage and all, but thank god you were awake and alert enough to notice the burning smell. Glad you and yours are safe, and hope they find the fucker who caused it (if it was intentional).

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
they basically grilled me for 4 hours last night. I was getting annoyed. The investigator for the Fire Dept (who is a known asshole around here, and instead of figuring out what caused it, he goes into situations with the first thing on his mind being finding someone to blame). He was an ass, and tried to say I was telling him 2 different things, and at that point I said I'd be more comfortable if a Police investigator handled it. He had no objection. The Fire Investigator determined it was intentional, he just couldn't figure out who started it.

The Police Investigator was much more professional and "unbiased" and talked to EVERYONE, not just ME. He handled it well, and said he believes it was an outside source (obviously). He informed me that there have been a LOT of reports of break-ins, etc in the area, so he's not surprised at all. Its very possible that someone was trying to break in and accidentally sparked the curtain over the window, and when they noticed it was burning, took off running.

My neighbors have ALL reported issues with their basement doors being messed with recently. So, the owners of the townhouses (the realtors) are installing heavy duty, windowless doors with double deadbolts for ALL residents. Shame it took something like this to happen for them to do it, considering a basement door is the most common entry point for a burglar.

Oh well, I'm picking up a handgun next week. So, the next time someone pulls a stunt like this, they might get in, but they won't leave with any of my stuff. OR a pulse. PERIOD.

XxCaryxX

Thank god you got your kids and wife outta there and it was only cosmetic damage! That Fire Dept Investigator can go fuck a donkey bro! He sounds like a piece of shit!