So my DA decided to quit...

tman327

Hey everyone, so I had some problem with my DA recently, and need some input. I was driving to work a few weeks ago and at one point it started sputtering very badly along with my RPM tach bouncing all over the place; anywhere from 0 to 6k (motor wasn't revving up along with it, just sputtering). Then about 5/10 seconds after that, my car died. After sitting for about 5-10 minutes, I went to start and it fired right back up like nothing ever happened. Drove for literally maybe another minute or two, then the same thing happened. A buddy of mine who is a mechanic was checking it out, and while his hand was on the distributor/distributor cap, it "bit him" (car was idling). So I replaced the dist. cap, the rotor piece inside the dist., and the spark plug wires. Went out for another drive after that, and was doing good for about 15 minutes or so, then the same thing; sputter badly with a RPM tach bouncing randomly, then died. My same mechanic buddy checked it out furthur, he checked the wiring going up to the distributor, and said that everything was good up to it, and said that I need a new distributor. I'm pretty much at the point where I'll buy one, but I'm still searching around for one; hard to find one under $100 >_< and I guess what I'm looking for are some second opinions? Or something else that I can check? Input is greatly appreciated!

JGvtec

Your Mechanic friend should have check out the FITV and the IACV. Sputtering idle, rough idle, fluctuating idle can come from the IACV being dirty or the FITV not being tighten down, or even both.

tman327

Your Mechanic friend should have check out the FITV and the IACV. Sputtering idle, rough idle, fluctuating idle can come from the IACV being dirty or the FITV not being tighten down, or even both.
What is the FITV and IACV?

mirrorimg

Do your lights start dimming?

It sounds to me like your alternator is not charging the battery, and you are running out of power.