So which route to go here?

.Cortez

94' LS
So with a new job on the way, and all summer to work, I'm going to be raking in some cash this summer. Now my teg is about as far as its going to go right now and i'm going to start some motor work. I'm unsure of weather i'd be better off going boost, or LS/Vtec all motor with some engine work. This is going to be a DD and an autocross/TT/Touge car. What are your guys's idea's. I know very well that it all comes down to my decision, but I'd like some advice as I don't know enough not to as for some right now.

So lets hear it, what do you think? LS/Vtec done right, or boost the ls motor?

Joshmmc

I looked into both for a long time trying to decide. It comes down not just to what you want, but what you have avaialable. Resources that you have access to play a big role. For example, if a buddy of yours has a B16 head laying around that you can pick up for cheap and you have a VTEC solenoid in your garage, then the LS/VTEC build will carry some extra appeal. If you have a great shop in town that can do a really good job at your tune and you're tired of natural aspiration, then boost may be the ticket.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
turbo> lsv in every way

ls turbo is more reliable, faster, and cheaper (if realistically compared)

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
turbo> lsv in every way

ls turbo is more reliable, faster, and cheaper (if realistically compared)
I'll have to a agree with Tam on this one. The LS/VTEC is the poorest motor choice in the realm of Honda, for many reasons.

The short list is this:

The bottom end of a B18B1 is not meant to be revved as high as a GSR or B16 head requires for optimum performance. It also has low compression pistons, which is not the best choice for an all motor build. Plus all the little nuances in the conversion process must be done meticulously. I've never seen an LS/VTEC that was reliable long-term, and every LS/VTEC or B20/VTEC I've driven has been a slow-ass dog - even turbo'd ones. It would take a ground-up build with very well selected parts to create a useful LS/V. And by that time you may as well have bought a B18C swap with all the money you'd spend. It's not worth it for 27cc's extra displacement.

I'd go with a quick-spooling turbo like a GT25, Disco Potato, 14g, 16g etc. and follow the boost path through-and-through. The B18B1 is a natural candidate for turbocharging IMO. Do some research and decide for yourself.

That's my $0.02

Good luck! :D

.Cortez

94' LS
Thanks guys. And as much as the turbo appeals to me, I mean who doesn't love teh sound of a spooling turbo to BOV noise, But I know I'd prob. do a b20 bottom end with a B16 head with ITR pistons and LS rods. From what i was told thats a great setup and run an 11.1 compession ratio. But as Josh has really made a great point there. I'll look around, if I can find a cheap used turbo kit in good shape i'll go that way, but as josh said if I can find a cheap head, i'll go that way. I'd love LS/vtec as I've never owned a Built NA car, actually Ive never had a built car period.

stroke me b18

posting for post count
I'll have to a agree with Tam on this one. The LS/VTEC is the poorest motor choice in the realm of Honda, for many reasons.

The short list is this:

The bottom end of a B18B1 is not meant to be revved as high as a GSR or B16 head requires for optimum performance. It also has low compression pistons, which is not the best choice for an all motor build. Plus all the little nuances in the conversion process must be done meticulously. I've never seen an LS/VTEC that was reliable long-term, and every LS/VTEC or B20/VTEC I've driven has been a slow-ass dog - even turbo'd ones. It would take a ground-up build with very well selected parts to create a useful LS/V. And by that time you may as well have bought a B18C swap with all the money you'd spend. It's not worth it for 27cc's extra displacement.

That's my $0.02

Good luck! :D
Or you can do me and get a fully built b18b with 10.5:1 and all the extra goodies and end up with more whp than a stock gsr has at the crank. with a few better upgrades 200+whp is easily attainable. i can't talk much on long-term reliability since the motor only has 1200 miles on it, but if it dies in 20,xxx miles i can go the boost route.