some smoke

drekollister

so im lost to be honest, ive hear turbo ive hear rings, i need more opinions please. i have a 95 ls with obd2 swap. its turboed. i dont see smoke on start up driving, cruising. the only time i see smoke is when im roling through first and i rip on it i see smoke in the rear view mirrow not sure of the color. i know the car does blow some black smoke also. ive done a comp test its 175 to 183. it runs and idles nice..... one last thing if im cruisng 65 and the car in front of me slows down i let off the gas and keep the car in gear i smell somthing like a burning smell the exhaust pops. i am catless its a striahgt pipe from the turbo to the muffler. is it turbo seals? oil restrictor not restricting enough oil? or rings. the head is recently with in 3 months rebuilt. ive parked the car till i can figure this out. any help please give me info.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
You sure this car is OBD2? Only kpro is for obd2 cars IIRC unless youre using some sort of high dollar piggy back or a standalone.

Pull the intake off at the turbo and the downpipe at the turbo, if there is an abnormal amount of oil on either end you'll know if it has bad seals.

The popping noise you hear is just unburnt fuel igniting in your exhaust, nothing you worry about. Unless its a flame throwing then that is way too much fuel.

drekollister

Also has the pcv in the valve cover and no black box and the sensor on top of the intake

mirrorimg

Did you or the previous owner have the car tuned when the turbo was installed? I dont think you can chip OBD2 ECUs, so there is probably a conversion harness attached to the computer to go from OBD2 to OBD1.

Pop off the passenger kick panel and take a look.
It will look something like this.

If you are running on a basemap with a preset chip, you should really take it to a tuner and get it tuned for real. Basemaps are only meant to limp the car to the tuner.

As for the smoking issue, you can perform a leakdown test to see where the problem may lie.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-maintenance/car-maintenance-archive/how-to-do-a-leakdown-test

Nick_C78

Do you have a catch can set up or is it just the stock PCV system?

It is very common to smell the exhaust if you do not have a cat..afterall the CAT essentially filters your exhaust. Also depending on your tune, especially with boost, it is common to put a puff of black or gray smoke on take off. Do a leak down test if you want to be sure. As long as you aren't burning through a ton of oil, or blinding cars behind you, don't put too much thought in to it.

drekollister

I don't see the jumper. I do have a catch can both vc line t to one and go into the one port on the catch can the other port on the catch can is open. I've tried the leak down test multiple times I got the test from harbor freight and everytime I hook up the line from the tool to the one in the cylinder both the pressure gauge and leakage gauge drop to zero

drekollister

Well when I hook it up I don't hear anything hissing etheir. I've tried tsking it to shops because I thought my gauge was messed up but no one around here does a cylinder leakage test

Russell D

If I were you the oil would be much concern compared to the fact that you don't know if or how your car is tuned. If you post pictures here of the plugs on the ecu we will be able to tell you if your car is obd1 or 2; if you can also post pictures of the socket board of the ecu we will be able to tell if it's chipped, and possibly what type of chip it is.

My old ls burned 2qt's of oil per tank of gas and I daily drove it for months until my b20 came, as long as you keep it full it won't hurt if it's minimal! Does it smoke enough to leave residue on the rear bumper? If it is your turbo leaking because the oil restricter is letting too much oil through it can ruin the turbo, but unless it's shooting oil out of the muffler it won't hurt anything besides the turbo.

Last edited:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Neptune is only a tuning software

the Demon RTP is what allows it to be reflashed over and over (like a Hondata ecu)

Pull the ecu and look at it.

drekollister

the ecu is chiped i know because sometime it wiggles loose and the car wount start and i have to push it in. the chip says SST on top of it. it also has launch controls. i need to re tune it but im trying to get this oil stuff fixed first and get a new waste gate spring. yes the cylinder is at TDC and yes their is black residue on the back bumper and on the front since the wastegate doesnt have a dump tube

drekollister

also for the leakage test i set the gauge to 100 and zero the othe rrun and lock the regulator cylinder at TDC and then when i hook the hose to the tool both gauges drop to 0