Someone Please educate me on tuning your car?

DaltonB

The Start is near!
From what I have seen on this forum, people do their bolt-ons and such but then they say they went and got a tune, and as far as I know this tuning can increase horsepower,torque and fuel efficiency, sounds like alot better upgrade then a CAI to me.

How much is a tune?
Can you buy handheld tuners without being a car genius?

What is missing in this sad attempt to define a tune? :lol:

Pugnap00

Why so serious?
Well think of it this way, Your ECU is only programmed to run off stock parts. When you start throwing in all these performance parts your ECU needs to be tuned to make use of them all and to be more efficient.

You do not need a tune for things like CAI, Exhaust and headers really, its just not worth it becuase youre not getting that much pperformance gains from those anyways.

People usually get tunes when they turbo/Supercharge, or get hondata ECU's

Oh and tunes can be pretty expensive, and you would have to go to a place that does tunes.

DaltonB

The Start is near!
Well think of it this way, Your ECU is only programmed to run off stock parts. When you start throwing in all these performance parts your ECU needs to be tuned to make use of them all and to be more efficient.

You do not need a tune for things like CAI, Exhaust and headers really, its just not worth it becuase youre not getting that much pperformance gains from those anyways.

Oh and tunes can be pretty expensive, and you would have to go to a place that does tunes.
Alright, thanks!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
From what I have seen on this forum, people do their bolt-ons and such but then they say they went and got a tune, and as far as I know this tuning can increase horsepower,torque and fuel efficiency, sounds like alot better upgrade then a CAI to me.

How much is a tune?

A tune is for modified cars by running it on the street or on a dyno with a modified OBD1 ecu, hondata s200 and s300 as well as others are avalible for street tuning. I would recomend going to a dyno tuner if you havent tuned before, You will DESTROY your car if you do not know how to tune properly. Tuning will change air fuel ratio, vtec engagement etc etc. Very very very bad if you dont know how to do it and you attempt it. here it costs $150 per hour for dyno tuning and if you have bolt ons you dont need it. Tuning is only for maximizing and harnessing the power from a built NA or FI motor. You can do it with bolt ons but it will be a minimal gain.

good job buddy proud of you

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA

How much is a tune?

Tuning is a great way to increase the performance of your engine. In order to get the most out of your engine, you're going to want to add some power-adders such as an intake, header, and exhaust. For example, you'll get more power/torque if you had a CAI with a tune as if you were to get a tune with a stock intake. The more bolt-ons you have, the more power you can squeeze out. If you really want to get serious, you can open up the motor and stick in some cams, pistons, rods, etc...

DaltonB

The Start is near!
Did you get an Integra yet?
No not till next month..:lol:

But a lot of people were getting annoyed with me saying "when I get my Integra." so I have been sticking to general questions like Samurai_Blue said.

This way, by the time I start modding and repairing I will be one step ahead of anyone else interested in it. I tried putting this in the lounge so people wouldn't be calling me out on not having a teggy yet and asking this, it didn't work :smackself

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
No not till next month..:lol:

But a lot of people were getting annoyed with me saying "when I get my Integra." so I have been sticking to general questions like Samurai_Blue said.

This way, by the time I start modding and repairing I will be one step ahead of anyone else interested in it. I tried putting this in the lounge so people wouldn't be calling me out on not having a teggy yet and asking this, it didn't work :smackself
naw its all good matts just curious. Engine building honestly in my opinion and everyone elses hre should be the last thing on your list. understand balance of the car and stuff before the engine

jesusalba1989

i have a s300 hondata and iam planing on turboing in the future but so far i have skunk 2 and bigger injectors and a 255 fuel pump i feel that iam killing 2 much gas should i get it tuned... becuse all it has is a base map or something like that?????