soo, engine advice please?

DAWGSwlms22

i have a B18 engine in my 90 GS. so, what would be better all around, a Vtech conversion, or a Turbo? And, i dont have a huge budget for it, so which is better for price, and just overall better for a suped up daily driver?

ninjaLS

Automatics SUCK! :[
There's a few thing YOU have to think about first.

-What is the car gonna be used for?
-How much HP do you want to achieve?
-How much IS your budget?

It all depends on what you want. You need to research on what size turbo you'll need for your goals and all the other necessary parts.
For LS/VTEC or a VTEC swap, it's the same thing, does it meet your need? your goals?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
The budget thing worries me, going cheap on either of those could potentially cost you more later. Just get some bolt ons if you need a little extra performance.

LotusPod

Petrel Head
The budget thing worries me, going cheap on either of those could potentially cost you more later. Just get some bolt ons if you need a little extra performance.
Defintiely one hundred percent agree on the budget worries.

I did some research myself and found that if you do decide to turbo her up, if you go for the cheaper kits or cheaper parts in general companies WILL Cut Corners. For example, you'll see tack welds instead of a full welds on pipes. The wastegate will be defective/weak, etc.

When going into a turbo not the most expensive persay but the parts that are decently priced to pricey are the best pieces you can get to ensure reliability.

In contradiction I will probably always support going turbo (if done right) due to the fact my daily driver is turboed. =)

Last edited:

DAWGSwlms22

i'm not really sure what my budget is. i'll just save until i have the money. but either way i go, i'm gonna do it right, and get the more expensive parts. im just looking for a faster daily driver. maybe a track car on the weekends.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Vtec, it's cheaper and reliable for a daily driver, not saying Turbo can't be, but I'm saying vtec, then when you want more power, boost that, just my 2¢

heritage36

I totally agree with hgocasca, I would do the LS/VTEC conversion and some bolt ons, and see how you like it from there. It's a huge difference from a LS to an LS/VTEC as far as power, and you dont have to deal with the gas guzzling and high pressures on an engine like a turbo setup throws at it. Another thing you may want to look into that I haven't done myself but I have heard good things about is changing the transmission from an LS trans to like a YS1 or a J1 or and S1 with shorter gearing makes a big difference, and a lot of people say they like that a lot even with keeping the LS motor stock, but I guess it depends how much you want out of it. You can PM me if you have questions about the transmissions, I have had a lot of different transmissions in my setups over the years and could probably offer some advice or answers there. Good luck man!

evilminion88

I ate the bones
"Fast- Cheap- Reliable... You can only pick two." I took this saying to heart when I started my ls-vtec. Ls-vtec is alot easier on the wallet. My goal was shooting for a reliable street/ daily driver, not balls to the wall power. Thats how motors blow up if not done correctly. Try to stick with OEM Honda parts whenever possible. Sure u pay a little more coin for them but the quality is unmatched to aftermarket gaskets, seals, hardwear, etc.... I went with a B18a1 bottom end with a B18c1 GSR head, brand new stock pistons, stock valves, and OEM gaskets. No aftermarket, except for my Fidanza fly wheel, aluminum crank pulley, Blox intake manifold, and DC header, with Hasthsport motor mounts. I switched to a YS1 tranny, replaced all bearings with OEM Honda, but installed a helical LSD.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
remember for a LS vtec you are going to want to do an oil pump, re ring your pistons, new bearings, hone it, etc.