sooooo i take out my spark plugs annnnnnnd.......

pimphand-strong

yea. so i just bought this 94 LS a week or so ago. (sorry to those who wanted pics, i lost my SD card lol) .....anyhow i'm getting up a list of things to do to it, so i take out my plugs and, damn. soaked in oil. a couple of the wells were an inch deep in it. all 4 plug wells drenched. it scared the shit outta me thinkin it needed rings, but didn't make sense for it to be all 4 drenched like that (it's not smoking either). so i start searching this site and others, and it seems like it's probably the spark plug grommets (?) and/or valve cover gasket (?)........

it looks like this is a somewhat common issue with these things. anyone ever dealt with this before? any suggestions on what to do? i'm thinking about just replacing the grommets and valve cover gasket simultaneously. and possibly PCV (?)

it also seems pretty sluggish. i'm guessing that it's probably all the oil in the combustion chambers. it really seems like it's missing a few HP somewhere.

all you Integra pros out there: drop some know how on me!!!!

:headbang:

mirrorimg

The only way oil gets in there is by the plug tube seals between the valvecover and cylinder head. They (4) will come in a valve cover gasket kit as mentioned above.

pimphand-strong

cool. thanks.

so does it make sense for that oil floating around to cause it to be sluggish? i mean, i know it's slow anyway, but i know it should have a little more hp/tq.

Theasian

Yes because spark transfer from the plug wires to the plug will be weak due to arching. I would also sug pulling off your dizzy cap and inspecting the cap and rotor. Replace your fuel filter. Just do a basic tune up.

And to replace you valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets just pull the valve cover off, pull off old gaskets and pul new ones on. Clean the cyl head surface where the gasket will mate with it. Apply oil to the gasket so it dosnt bind and where the gasket mates with the end cam caps a bit or rtv or hondabond to seal those caps. I'm talking a dab.

Theirs tons of write ups about it out their

pimphand-strong

good call. i suppose i'll wind up replacing the cap, wires, plugs, grommets, gasket, and fuel filter all at once... that should get 'er running pretty good!

any idea about PCV? worth the time/effort/money?

uso_Dc

easy to replace, and proly like $5 or so depends on the store and the brand. there is a way to test it though.

take it off and clean it up really good, if you suck and blow through one of the holes, there is a ball valve that will prevent air to go in one way so if it is working then no need to replace but if its either stuck open or close then time to replace.

Theasian

Yep pcv is easy and cheap. Only I dollar part. You can also just pull the hose off the intake manifold (Im) and suck and blow.

Another thing I would sug is sefoaming the intake system and taking some of it and cleaning the throttle body. Seafoam or b-12 would be good. Pour half in your engine oil and change it after about 500 miles. The seafoam will clean the carbon out of your intake and valves, and inside of the block.

mirrorimg

Never heard of putting oil on the gasket to help it seal... I run RTV around the entire perimeter of my valve cover.

Hugo

mines was soaked in oil too but the spark plugs wernt burned or anything. all i did was buy new
spark plugs, spark plug wires and did the oil change but most importantly cleaned the inside where the plugs
was with a a thin ripped up shirt til all the oil was out. now when i check the spark plugs/wires. not one site
of oil!

INtegraaa

same problem with my ls i got a new valve cover gasket came with all the seals i need used foam a gasket and now it doesnt leak at all. car as u said was sluggish but now runs great. its a easy fix just be careful when tightiing down the nuts u can easliy strip the bolts and ull be taking a trip to pick and pull. (personal expierence)

Theasian

Reason you put a little bit of oil around the gasket is to help to slide and seal properly. If it goes dry to dry surface theirs a chance of it binding and leaking.

Also theirs no need to to cover the whole valve cover in rtv. Not being a dick but its a amature thing. It looks bad and if installed properly theirs no need for it ofther than 8 corners of the cam caps.

mirrorimg

I dont smother it. You cant see the RTV from the outside. Just a thin film to promote a good seal. It effectively does what you say the oil does, as it is not solid until it vulcanizes.