Spark Plug Popped out and hit hood, no RPM

Ralph3991

Ralph
So today I was driving and my car started to make a weird winding noise. I slowed down and I heard a loud bang in the hood area. My gas pedal had no effect. I would press down and nothing. I got out and the spark plug in cylinder 3 popped out and hit the hood. In the process, the ignition wire broke at the boot. I had some old ignition wires in the trunk and spark plugs. I replaced the spark plug and ignition wire. I started to drive again then, it happened again. I fixed it again, then it happened again. If I stopped at a light the RPM went all the way to 0 and the gas pedal had no effect. The RPM's would go up and down sometimes. I don't know whats going on but my guess is that it has something to do with combustion. Could it be from my blown head gasket? What does it sound like to you guys?

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
Did the spark plug from the trunk actually thread in? Where the original plugs torqued to spec? I would thing you stripping do the treads but it also could have came lose from not being torqued. Happened before on my RL35 and it killed the coil in that cylinder. Came lose from not being torqued properly threads where good luckily
Hope this helps

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
LOL never heard a story like that before. I second the stripped threads cuz theres no reason it should pop out multiple times like that unless you simply didnt threat it in at all. Even improper torque wont happen in such short intervals. And combustion has a lot to do with it flying out but it isnt the problem. LoL

j13

Keep It Clean
So the spark plugs were playing pop goes the weezle eh, I suggest tightening the plugs before you put the plug wires in. Also your head might be stripped at the plug threads

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
are you tightening the plugs when you put them in, or are you just dropping them in and putting the boots on top of them

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Its funny how rediculously obvious the questions sound but you never know right? lol Id have assumed the same would have happened to the rest if thats what he did but i avoided asking the question for benefit of the doubt.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Actually, it is a fairly dumb question, if you think about it, lol...If it was just sitting there, there would be no compression, hence no combustion, lol...

Op, only 2 options, you didn't know you had to tighten them to spec and are just spinning them in there with your fingers, our your head is stripped. I guess the third option is that you are making this up.

Ralph3991

Ralph
Well i put the spark plugs in before with a ratchet. I never actually torqued them with a torque wrench. I will probably do that but still it was really crazy. My hood actually has a mountain on it :( I haven't drove it since but I will fix it when I can and post results. But this was a really crazy experience

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I don't actually use a torque wrench, either. I have a highly calibrated forearm, lol... But if you torqued it down, each time, with a ratchet, I would say the threads have to be stripped. I don't set any other way that would be possible. Then again, I don't see how you could even tighten it down, after the first time.

tork_sd89

Baywatch
Happened to me before in my mazda. Was on the way to work heard a pop and the car sounded like a subie hahaha Popped the hood saw nothing wrong. Started the car and out went flying a spark plug. I just took it to the shop and got new spark plugs and wires. Cost me a lil more because it was a v6 but I never had that problem again.