Sparkplugs, and VC

themiller13

I am in the process of getting some spark plugs to replace for my teg, some NGK V-powers. and the wires to go with it. But since I've been browsing I've seen some painted VC's and would like to take the project on myself. If I were to try and knock out the projects at the same time (take off the VC and then change the plugs) would it be easier to change the plugs that way. Yes I am newish to cars hence why I'm asking.

Also what is the difficulty to removing and putting the VC back on properly, with a new gasket of course. I am capable of some car tasks but I'm not a mechanic by any means, recently bolted on an SRI, but I don't want to get the Cover off and then find out I'm in over my head. I know not to mess with the internals once its open and everything, but is it just bolt off, do all of the appropriate painting things, place new gasket back on and then bolt back down.

Ganyon

Basically you just unbolt all 5 bolts and wires, pull off, paint, put new gasket on, and put the cover back on and return everything. Very easy mod.

themiller13

And the Plugs can be changed while its off? Also should I cover the engine with something so it isn't exposed while I paint?

mdtsdca

Yes. The vc does not interfere w/the spark plug tubes at all. You can replace the plugs w/valve cover on or off. Just make sure you get the ones specified for your engine. Replace any tube seal/grommets also since you're doing the vc gasket.

Remove the vc out of the car completely and paint in your backyard or somewhere else and definitely away from your car and engine bay. Never paint your vc while it's still mounted on your engine.

TheSkygun

I'd leave the old plugs and wires on and if your in an area where dirt gets everywhere and plan on having the vc off for longer then a day I'd say use a trash bag to cover it up. I haven't done this project yet since my plugs and wires are in good condition still. So someone that has done it might chime in and correct me

Ganyon

I would just change the plugs with it on. And just leave the hood closed while you''re painting. You don't need to cover the motor.

themiller13

Thanks a lot guys. I'll post pics once its finished