Sparkplugs, radiator fans, A/c, tires

themiller13

So I have a 97 Gs/SE, auto, 4dr and have installed a new SRI, while in the process, I've come across a few questions, ideas, and issues. (FYI I am relatively new to the car mechanicing scene)

To start. The engine has 258k on it. When I got it my dad bought it cheap and put 700$ in parts into fixing it up, timing belt, headers, fuel pump, lower struts, shocks, things of this nature. And after having the car, I'd like to upgrade things slowly to help my B18b1 run a little cleaner. I was thinking sparkplugs, and wires might be a good place to start. The engine is basically stock (minus the intake) because he used dealer parts, so I don't want to get OP'd and unbalanced and blow something. Eventually I do want to get a lot of power from the engine but because of my slim budget, I'm trying to do as many lower priced upgrades as possible.
-From what I've read NGK spark plugs are a good choice along with the wires, but I've heard some discrepancies between the iridium and V-power style. Can anyone suggest which I should go for and why, bonus points to anyone who can give me a specific part number. Also if there is another brand/style that could boost power or combustion cleanlieness of the engine better than the iridium or V-power NGK's what would they be. I understand not much of a gain is possible, but every bit counts.

The next thing I've come across after installing the SRI is the radiator fan. I'm still trying to work out how it works aside from a temp gauge kicking on the fan. With the SRI would I be better off getting a newer fan setup? I understand cold air is good, but would a new fan make any difference to the engine bay temp, and if I were to get a new fan, would it for perfromance, I.e. stronger fan cooling the engine bay down better, or would it just be pretty?

Also how does anyone here feel about upper strut tower set ups, front and back? I get the premise that it supposed to help utilize the whole suspension system and reinforce it, but would getting them really make that much of a difference, the car is more of a DD but I'd like to get some better turning/stability out of it. Also i'm pretty sure it has the lower set up already. And again, if yes here, bonus points to a part number or link.

As for the problems. My A/c cabin fan has been working intermittently on me. Working for two or three days, then not working for a while, then kicking on while I'm going down the road. The compressor still works because I get an ambient COLD air flow when the fan is supposed to be in the on postion and the A/c button is on and light. and when I turn said A/c button off the air still flows, just not as cold. The compressor/ radiator(passenger side fan) fan still works, I can turn it on when the Cabin fan is supposed to work. What can I do to trouble shoot the issue? Is my fan bad? What ought I do?

The other problem is a wobbling from what feels like the front right wheel, Again this problem is intermittent as well and on occasion fixes itself or show up whilst I'm driving. The wheels have been aligned and the problem still shows just as it did before they were aligned. It is really noticeable when the engine in pulling and accelerating. But it isn't always present. It can go away for a week, and then just show up one day, and then during that day can go away just as quickly as it came. It actually went away when I shifted lanes one day. Is there anyway I can diagnose this, start looking for things that can be significant for diagnosis, or give more information to someone here who knows what to ask about the issue to help me out.

Last edited:

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
For a completely stock car, your looking for NGK G-Power plugs, best all around performance for the money, i swear by them on all of my cars. A new radiator fan wont make any difference to your under the hood temps. A simple modification is to cut a 1-2 foot section of the seal on your cowl that seals the hood shut, directly in the center of the car, this will help suck the hot air out of the bay when the car is at speed. There is no reinforcing that needs to be done on the suspension, if your looking for a cheap improvement in stance and handling, H&R OE Sport or Sport Springs and KYB GR-2 oem replacement struts are a fantastic combination.

Your AC fan only working intermittently sounds like the blower motor resistor needs to be replaced. The wobbling in your front wheels should be addressed immediately. Easy checks for this, jack the front of the car up, and wiggle the front tire from side to side, if it has excessive play beyond the turning of the steering wheel, you are looking at a wheel hub, maybe tie rod's. You can also check your axle for play as well, you will see if the shafts under the car, if the shafts can move back and forth in the housing with alot of play, they will also need to be replaced.

themiller13

Okay I appreciate the advice, but just out of curiosity. What would happen were I to put either of the afore mentioned plugs on my engine?

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Nothing, but iridiums are unnecessary on a stock motor.