sprung or unsprung clutch

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
so im looking to get another clutch, right now I have a stage 3 and its going out. id like to know which is better and whats different and whats your experience with the sprung and unsprung clutch. I kinda want a unsprung but not sure. do they mess up your tranny? and do you have to rev high to go off? are they like a stage 4 0r 5 sprung clutch? whats the pros an cons with sprung and unsprung.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Sprung clutch will soften the engagement like springs on your suspension.
You have a stage 3 what brand? And how much torque are making?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
A clutch with a damper (sprung) is meant to absorb engine vibrations. If you drive your car daily you want a damper equipped clutch. Solid hubs are meant for track only cars.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Sprung clutch will soften the engagement like springs on your suspension.
You have a stage 3 what brand? And how much torque are making?
To a degree. A marcel spring has more effect on it than hub springs though. They do a better job of damping vibration and absorbing pulsation or shock than softening engagement.
A clutch with a damper (sprung) is meant to absorb engine vibrations. If you drive your car daily you want a damper equipped clutch. Solid hubs are meant for track only cars.
I agree. I even run a sprung hub twin disc on an AWD track car and have never had an issue. (500+ ft/lbs)

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I agree. I even run a sprung hub twin disc on an AWD track car and have never had an issue. (500+ ft/lbs)

Exactly, we even try to use at least one dampened disk on our triple plate setups to help with drivetrain shock. Unfortunetly because of clearance this can not always be accomplished.

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
ok and i added u to contacts and also sent a friend request. u always answer my q's and make it easy to understand. thank you. also which is better stage 3 or 4 sprung also which grabs better but good for DD 6 puck or 4 puck?

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Exactly, we even try to use at least one dampened disk on our triple plate setups to help with drivetrain shock. Unfortunetly because of clearance this can not always be accomplished.
I know, mine is a Exedy ;)

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
ok and i added u to contacts and also sent a friend request. u always answer my q's and make it easy to understand. thank you. also which is better stage 3 or 4 sprung also which grabs better but good for DD 6 puck or 4 puck?
Unless you are making more than 200hp there's really no need for pucked designs. Stages are pointless since they vary by each manufacturer.

Unless your planning some serious upgrade in the immediate future you should get a clutch that suits your current needs, no more, no less. This will maximize drivability and longevity.

Go to the clutch manufacturers website and look at the torque holding capacitys each unit, pick one that is slightly above what you need and you will be fine.

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
Unless you are making more than 200hp there's really no need for pucked designs. Stages are pointless since they vary by each manufacturer.

Unless your planning some serious upgrade in the immediate future you should get a clutch that suits your current needs, no more, no less. This will maximize drivability and longevity.

Go to the clutch manufacturers website and look at the torque holding capacitys each unit, pick one that is slightly above what you need and you will be fine.
ok thanks makes sence