Spun rod bearing :[

Devyp2theizo

well i was doing about 125~130 on the free way with some friends last Friday (freeway was clear, for no more than about 4 miles , was speeding only about half of that, so my question is, with rod knock only after 2500 rpm sometimes it doesn't come up at all, is it a d.i.y. job to go in and just change my rod bearings, or as the saying goes i suppose,"if u heard a sound , its too late?

i say d.i.y. because there are plenty of write ups on it and it doesn't sound tooo hard, and two i already owe my mechanic 300, so there no way i can come to him again right now...
what are some other options for me? im on a verry limited budget at the moment... :(

thanks a bunch guys
p.s.
also now that i remeber, i drove her a kinda hard for a day or two , not realizing i was uber low on oil about 2 days prior two... which is probably where my problem started, but also i dont know 100% for sure its my rod bearings, but after countless lookups on line im pretty sure of it...

sylvaner01

Probs too late dude, i'm sure if you have experience working on your engine you can replace it for prety cheap but the mechanic is going to charge you about 1.2 arms to fix it...
Dont be too hard on your car dude, my brother learnt that the hard way ;P
If you go on youtube i'm sure there are a few clips of how to change.. does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtO6Rj_kAoQ

Last edited:

Devyp2theizo

yea sounds like that but not nearly as bad, after i heard the sound i kept my rpms under 2500 for the trip home and it wasn't driven anymore than 7 miles with knocking with the problem (including when it started) ... any chance it can be saved ?

sylvaner01

Not too sure bud, i'm sure Samurai_Blue will see this topic prety soon, he might beable to help.
the only thing i know is that if a rod is bent it needs replacing or fixing, this requires cracking open the engine.
I would recomend not driving until you find out what to do, as this could only make the situation worse

Devyp2theizo

yea for sure, i haven't driven it since ( its tough :( ) ive started her twice though, and it knock as it starts up but then goes away,

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
Take it to a pro and have them diagnose the problem. You might not know what else is damaged or needs to be replaced. Shit happens when u fuck around. I kno cause it happen to me. And pay your mechanic! Lol.

Worst comes to worst, the block needs to be taken apart for the machine shop for a rebuild. And that's much $$$.

Alvi84

On a honda, if you spin a rod bearing, you have most likely damaged the crankshaft and would benefit best from having the crank micropolished. I spun a rod bearing in the past on my USDM B18c1 and rebuilt the bottom end. Drove the car during the break in period and once I was ready to get tuned, I took my car to be dyno'd where we spun another rod bearing. So if you like to drive "spirited" I would advise a swap or at least taking the crankshaft out to have it micropolished.

I now rock a JDM SiR-G B18c so things happen for a reason in my opinion...

hidenplanvew

Ya I wouldnt start it eather just pull the battery cable off so it wont kill your batt... You going to have to do a swap or take the motor out and rebuild it. Eather way ur going to be shelling out some cah to fix this one.. you said it was just rebuilt? you might have some kind of warrenty