Sputter Problem

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
So i have been experiencing this issue. Car seems to sputter (before and after) car is warmed up. Very annoying sputter. Car has fresh oil changes, only mods are Megan Header, BLOX Test Pipe, HKS Hi Power exhaust. My first thoughts were bad gas, but I ran it out and filled it again with Shell 93 Octane. Now im thinking spark plugs? Car has 83k Miles on it so maybe it could be them? Friend says check distributor as well but it seems like that is fine but who knows haha. Any suggestions? What spark plugs to use? ect.

Cman46290

NGK Iridium plugs... also replace the distributor cap and rotor if they have never veen done... as well as a fuel filter if you havent ever done it.

Right now, no check engine lights on or anything? Any certain time it sputters? under load? at idle? when?

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
NGK Iridium plugs... also replace the distributor cap and rotor if they have never veen done... as well as a fuel filter if you havent ever done it.

Right now, no check engine lights on or anything? Any certain time it sputters? under load? at idle? when?
Only check engine light is because of my test pipe (which im putting cat in now because I got that o2 sensor cel fix) but it seems like it does it under load when its warming up then fine, then every now and again while in on open road cruising (60 mph in 5th gear). This morning at Idle (cold cold start) I was letting it warm up and you would hear it pop sputter. I was thinking about stopping by pepboys and picking up the NGK's

tito

im having a similar problem and changed the plugs and fuel filter and still doing it like if its choking

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
im having a similar problem and changed the plugs and fuel filter and still doing it like if its choking
Thats exactly how it feels, like its falling on its face. Very unhealthy sounding until it warms up then you only feel and hear it every now and again.

Cman46290

could be a distributor going bad on you...

let us know after a proper tune upo and getting the cat put back on how that helps...

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
could be a distributor going bad on you...

let us know after a proper tune upo and getting the cat put back on how that helps...
Most def. I bought NGK Iridium IX plugs. Going to pick up wires and do them too, if that doesnt solve it, ill pick up a new dizzy.

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Ok so I got home after work. Remembered I had a new distributor installed. Went and picked up these

Started taking out spark plugs and found out why it wasn't running right. This is the culprit. Apparently no engine damage at all.

Not to mention they were Autolites!

Car problem FIXED

Last edited:

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Yeah.. Don't buy s***ty spark plugs.
Exactly. Its like people putting non synthetic oil in car, or low grade fuel in it. Makes no sense. NGK's are one of the most better brands, just shell out the little extra dollars for them lol. Def worth it. Car cold started this morning perfect and ran AMAZING!