sputtering at startup (cold and warm)

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
since there was one for being warm, how bout after startup?

mine will sound like a wrx after starting. no matter if its the first start of the day or after it was driven.

i changed out the spark plugs and fuel filter not too long ago. cleaned out the dist. cap and rotor not long ago either.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
everything is stock besides intake and exhaust. no codes.

it sounds like a misfire but then itll correct itself. like, itll sti for a few seconds and then normal. it hasnt done that in a while.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I was thinking valve adjustment too...Shop manual says it should be done every 20k miles but the head usually makes noises when it needs to be done.
How many miles do you have?
Does your engine shake a lot or do you get a lot of vibrations in the car when it happens?

Mine did a similar thing when mine sat for a 6 weeks or so before I sold it after I got the Miata, it was running rough and sounded like a Subaru, after a few minutes it came back to normal.

It might be something with your fuel pump starting to go or your injectors needing a cleaning.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
yeah. it started when i first went on deployment for 7 months. it started up straght and i moved it out of the garage. i turned it off to lower it and change the wheels. i started it and thats when the subie sounds started. itll do that randomly. 3-4 weeks itll be fine and then one day itll show up for asexond or two.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
me too.

is there a way i could clean the injectors at home? would seafoaming the engine help? i already have the bottle.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I was thinking seafoam might help also running some injector cleaner through the tank once in a while couldn't hurt.

How's the little screen thing on the fuel pump look?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
pfftt. i have no idea how that screen looks. never had to look at it. haha!!

im thinking when it gets closer to empty again, ill seafoam it and see how it goes.

goober

I think I might be threadjacking? but I started having the subaru sound and major power loss today on the way home. have a 91 integra rs w/ b18a1. Last year I got new distributor cap, head gasket, tb gasket, timing belt, ngk spark plugs, wires, even removed the intake and cleaned everything, cleaned the injectors, re-assembled and everything was great until today. There are no engine codes but it sounds and feels like one or more of the cylinders is not getting spark or gas. The previous owner neglected to put in a new radiator when it started leaking and just kept putting in water so I think it was at least run hotter than normal, however the car ran great up until now so I don't think these problems could be attributed to overheating. I also replaced all vacuum lines, new (last year) fuel filter, don't really want to get into the tank if i don't have to. Anyone have any ideas. I waiting for it to cool down now and I'm gonna check the distributor, plugs n wire's. I hope its something simple, I'm always bragging about my teggy and how everything still works for being 22 years old lol, and now it is being dumb.

Last edited:

goober

i just drove it n there's no power, then wham it kicks in. then goes away. I had a similar problem with my jetta one time and turned out to be the alternator. almost cool enough to touch now, guess some valve adjustment never hurts. where did i put my feeler guages.

goober

Is my spinny thingy broken, can you clean it, looks all cracked. What is it called, do I need a new distributor. Also I can't get my no 2 spark plug out. Gonna wait till it cools down some more, why is that one so hard to remove. I torqued them all. My distributor port leaks oil despite my many attempts to use o-rings to quell my problem, there is a puddle of oil inside the distributor cap n looks like my spinny thingy is soaked although I don't know what a new one looks like, I think this is most likely my problem. Where are the free distributors?

Last edited: