Sputtering When Warm

Charly[horse]

Name = John
I hate posting questions but I can't figure it out, here it goes....

First it is a
90 Teg
b16a2
hondata s300
Running a obd-1 engine harness

Alright so when my car is warm it sputters. I will be driving with my foot on the pedal and it acts as if I took my foot off the pedal for a split second then put it back on; rpms drop to 0 then go back to where they were, very jerky. If I take my foot off the pedal completely it will usually die or idle up and down. If I stop and let it sit for a few minutes it will be fine and run smooth again for maybe 5 minutes.

Alright so in my research a found a DSM thread where it sounded like the guy had the exact same problem but it was never resolved in the thread, for more explanation here is the link.....here

The only difference from his is that when the car sputters (when the rpms go to 0) the CL flashes but never long enough for me to read it off my Hondata and it does it no matter how much my foot is on the gas pedal. Also, I don't think it is the o2 sensor because I have ran without one for a few days before and it didn't do that; plus I get readings on my hondata of my a/f ratio.

Any advice or tests you may have will help, thx.

Sammich

have you cleaned any of your valves? FITV or IACV? cheapest things to do to see if it helps. i know mine was having idling issues w/ the IACV, even though yours isnt..just an option

Muckman

Not a M0derator
If the tach drops to zero then it sounds like a complete loss of power, either main relay, or possibly ICM. Can you datalog this event? If you lose power at the Ecu then that will point you upstream.

Charly[horse]

Name = John
Sammich - I haven't, I can't imagine that it would cause my car to die while in fifth with my foot on the gas but it is for sure something I need to do anyway

Muchman - Nope, the CEL turns on and turns off before the ECU reads anything. Good call though, I will do some more research and then test those and report back.

Edit: I am going to do what you guys mentioned but I also have a feeling that it is a fuel prob not spark. When it sits for a few days it has a hard time starting too. It acts just like it does right after it dies; I have to crank it a few times to get it to go.

Last edited: