Stage 2 Camshaft Choices: B18C5

drevans_satx

Dylan
Well CI, you guys are always helpful so I figured this is the best place to ask a few questions.

As you can probably tell I run a b18c5 as a DD.
Right now it has a full Rocket Motorsports valvetrain done as well as skunk2 tuner stage 2 cams.
Seeing as I'm shooting for 200-210whp a slightly more aggressive cam is in order. I already have all the supports mods to go along with the cams
-walbro 255
-adjustable fpr.
-adjustable cam gear
You know, all that jazz.

I was looking into the Skunk2 stage two cams, beacause I already have the stage one and like them and the brand, but it states that I should use their valvetrain. This wouldn't be bad if I already didn't have the RMs vavletrain. My next thought was "hey I'll just run RMs stage 2 cams" only to find out that Rocket Motorsports no longer exists :cry:

Will Skunk2 Stage 2 cams (tuner series or pro series) work with the Rocket Motorsports valvetrain??
All my head work was done in....2004? If I remember correctly, so RMs actually existed.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Well CI, you guys are always helpful so I figured this is the best place to ask a few questions.

As you can probably tell I run a b18c5 as a DD.
Right now it has a full Rocket Motorsports valvetrain done as well as skunk2 tuner stage 2 cams.
Seeing as I'm shooting for 200-210whp a slightly more aggressive cam is in order. I already have all the supports mods to go along with the cams
-walbro 255
-adjustable fpr.
-adjustable cam gear
You know, all that jazz.

I was looking into the Skunk2 stage two cams, beacause I already have the stage one and like them and the brand, but it states that I should use their valvetrain. This wouldn't be bad if I already didn't have the RMs vavletrain. My next thought was "hey I'll just run RMs stage 2 cams" only to find out that Rocket Motorsports no longer exists :cry:

Will Skunk2 Stage 2 cams (tuner series or pro series) work with the Rocket Motorsports valvetrain??
All my head work was done in....2004? If I remember correctly, so RMs actually existed.
What u need to find out is the max lift on the cams and cross reference it with the max lift the valve train can take before the springs bottom out..

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Jeffbel

What'd you do with your itr cams? You took a step back going to stage 1s.

drevans_satx

Dylan
I want to say stage 1 is a slightly different grind, a tiny more aggressive then stock, but since I didn't put them in (the P.O. did) I don't know what happened to the stock cams. He probably sold them off like an idiot. Personally I would have gone with pro's at least, but alas, I, just trying to hit the 200whp mark right now. My dyno sheet is sitting at 183 -_-

Jeffbel

Your stock cams should've been the same as ctr cams. As far as I know they are more aggressive than any stage 1.

drevans_satx

Dylan
CTR cams are more aggressive than ITR, but just because the JDM cams are always more aggressive than UDSM. Since there was no CTR in the U.S....well you get it. I'm just speaking for the Skunk2 cams here, but the Tuner Stage 1 is designed to be used with the ITR's stock valvetrain, but it's still a slight bump of power. Either way if I was the P.O. I would have gone with stage 2, seeing as the RMs valvetrain supports up to the Skunk2 Pro 3's.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
What compression is in your motor, stock? You gotta be careful putting big ass cams in an all motor car and not having enough compression for them to really be utilized properly. I had a buddy put pro3's in a stock b16 who refused to listen to me. Put the cams in and car ran like absolute shit, called skunk2 and they laughed when he told them it was in a stock compression b16. Just something you might wanna research

drevans_satx

Dylan
What compression is in your motor, stock? You gotta be careful putting big ass cams in an all motor car and not having enough compression for them to really be utilized properly. I had a buddy put pro3's in a stock b16 who refused to listen to me. Put the cams in and car ran like absolute s***, called skunk2 and they laughed when he told them it was in a stock compression b16. Just something you might wanna research
Yes stock compression b18c5. As far as I know the skunk2 tuner stage 2 can be used with the stock compression. Even if stage 3 could be, I have no will to go past stage 2.

Jeffbel

CTR cams are more aggressive than ITR, but just because the JDM cams are always more aggressive than UDSM. Since there was no CTR in the U.S....well you get it. I'm just speaking for the Skunk2 cams here, but the Tuner Stage 1 is designed to be used with the ITR's stock valvetrain, but it's still a slight bump of power. Either way if I was the P.O. I would have gone with stage 2, seeing as the RMs valvetrain supports up to the Skunk2 Pro 3's.
Pre2000 itr cams are 3 degrees off. Post2000 itr cams are the same as ctr

Jeffbel

Yup...after some reading I found that out.:oops:

Either way, I'm starting to lean towards Skunk2 Tuner stage2. Opinions anyone?
I'm looking at putting tuner stage2 on my ctr. Really itr/ctr cams are plenty. I have a friend making 1000wheel on my old ctr cams. The bastard failed to mention he took the cams when I bought the engine

emd513

Kinda off subject but how do you identify what cams you have if there's only one letter on each.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2