Starter belt screeching

mikeman990

When u start my 99 gsr the car starts no problem but there is a very loud screeching sound it last a fem moments then goes away once the car starts goes up to about 2000 rpm the idles back down after that the screeching goes away is it my starter belt and does it need to be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There is no such thing as a starter belt lol. It's either your power steering, alternator or AC compressor belt slipping. You should replace all three as they are cheap and probably never have been replaced.

ishavedmyballs!

I have no lunch money
hey i replaced all of mine at the end of last winter (i live in ohio) and now its getting cold again and my alternator belt started making this weird noise almost like a whirling. its there when i start the car its on and off while its warming up and then when i drive it it makes the noise when im somewhere between 2-3k rpms. what is going on?

osiris19

Make sure all your belt tensions are correct. Also, its not a bad idea to replace your belts especially with winter coming. Noises could also be the ac compressor clutch or the alternator/power steering pulley bearings.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

ishavedmyballs!

I have no lunch money
Well mine never made the noise until a few days ago when it really got cold

Theasian

Belt or belt tension each should have about 1/4-1/2 inch deflection. Over tightening a belt and put stress on the bearing in the component and cause bearing failure

osiris19

Yeah, I am aware of that. That would be why I suggested it, lol...
My bad. I thought you were questioning me as it's not usually the first thought when a noise comes up. I'll Tuck my ego in my pocket lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
To determine which belt is screeching, get some soapy water and spray it on to each belt. Once the sound goes away, you'll know which belt it was. You can then inspect it and in most cases, just needs to be re-tensioned.
- Aaron

osiris19

To determine which belt is screeching, get some soapy water and spray it on to each belt. Once the sound goes away, you'll know which belt it was. You can then inspect it and in most cases, just needs to be re-tensioned.
- Aaron
Or, you could just spray wd40 on it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2