starter problem...

joemon

ok well i go to start my 1993 acura integra auto today and nothing happens...
no noise no cranking over no movement....
the radio turns off when u try to start it but other than that nothing happens...
theres been a few times where after the car has been running and i turn it off then turn it right back on and it wont start and the 3rd gear light will be blinking green.... and the brakes lock up and cant get it outta park or anything...
i guess its just in need of parts..
(i guess it happens when it has about 237000mi on it...)

DeAcevedo45

Second Glance
I have a starter for a 93 LS Manaul, if you want to buy it. Im pretty sure ATX and MTX starters are compatible. Let me know once your positive its the starter

DeAcevedo45

Second Glance
hmmmm i've never done it but try jumping your starter

joemon

ya imma try the jumping rite now
i guess that mite be a bad alternater then isnt it.. if the battery is died...

but ya i kno its a error code and trying to find out wat that means..
im like on a really tight budget and trying to find a new job but without the car.. its kinda hard to do...

joemon

jumping didnt work out.. it still did nothing
so i check out the neutral switch...
ok ive checked that out and just replaced it
and the car still wont start
ive checked all fuses with tester light and all good excepted 4 the starter fuse
the fuse itself is still good but no light on the tester will come on 4 it while cranking it...
so my friend put the hammer to the starter ... nothing happened...
so he basicly hotwired the starter and it fired up and ran...
but still the starter wont turn tho....

Blumpkin

Blumps in a blump
Sounds like an intermittent problem with the solenoid in the starter. Get a new one....

Btw bashing your starter with a hammer makes as much sense as punching your xbox when it red rings. It just makes things worse.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Personally, I would get a multimeter and diagnose the problem instead of replacing random parts that everyone is just guessing at. I'd find out what is actually not functioning properly before just buying starters, solenoids, relays..etc and throwing them at it hoping it works. Diagnosis will be cheaper than guessing what is messed up, buying it and hoping for the best. But that's just me.

Blumpkin

Blumps in a blump
Personally, I would get a multimeter and diagnose the problem instead of replacing random parts that everyone is just guessing at. I'd find out what is actually not functioning properly before just buying starters, solenoids, relays..etc and throwing them at it hoping it works. Diagnosis will be cheaper than guessing what is messed up, buying it and hoping for the best. But that's just me.
good point. And from what the OP says it could e anything from the alternater, starter, battery, or a parasitic draw somewhere....I personally hate meters cuz I hardly find what in looking for when I use them haha

chronsolo

MAD MAN
you might be able to find an auto parts store near you that will pull up trouble codes but they are usually all obd2. but if you can find one it's way cheaper than an hour diag at a dealer, look the codes up in your specific manual, and then at least you'll have somewhere to start instead of buying a ton of parts.

and if your gunna hammer a starter, show it a little love because it's not hard to break some of it's inner workings. good luck man.

jznsn2u

you might be able to find an auto parts store near you that will pull up trouble codes but they are usually all obd2. but if you can find one it's way cheaper than an hour diag at a dealer, look the codes up in your specific manual, and then at least you'll have somewhere to start instead of buying a ton of parts.

and if your gunna hammer a starter, show it a little love because it's not hard to break some of it's inner workings. good luck man.
(this thread was made in 2008)