Starter?

Boostn

So my car overheated blew a rad hose and it died on the highway. I got her home she would only make one sound like batt was dead. Charged battery to fulliest, new plugs wires. I hand-cranked the crank and its still good, checked the timing its all good. there knows the engine isnt seized. next when i try and start it the starter comes out but does not engage the flywheel, ive changed the starter since then and same thing. No teeth missing on the flywheel either. My issue is the starter is not grabbing the flywheel to even crank.. and i do know that the engine is still good.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
If the starter is turning but the sproket is not engaging the flywheel, either you missed a cable or a ground or the starter is bad, really weird though

Boostn

Okay, tomorrow Ill have a run through for grounds. I did replace the main negative ground, maybe other grounds need some replacing too. I did however get the starter from the junkers so it could be faulty but both starters pass the bench test at crappy tire and even when i benched it, it came out and spun on both but i feel as though it is not getting as far as it is suppose too. but the chances of two starters doing the exact same thing makes me wonder... Thanks for the input so far though hopefully this will fix the issue if not maybe you could direct me for further evaluation.

Ballerin1

Yeah, I'd check the grounds/battery again. Our starter on the crawler would pop out but wouldn't turn, we bought a new battery and checked the grounds and now it works.

92DB2

test your starter..take it out rest it on the battery ground then put power fromt he battery to the signal port and power line and see if it comes out and spins then you will know if its any good...gl with it

whoops didint fully read just skimmed if that wasnt it i would go with grounds like evryone else mentioned

Boostn

Ok so what other wires? I know there is 2 that hook into the starter and i had to charge my battery after it sat for a few weeks so I charged the battery and it still wont engage the flywheel.. Its really starting to annoy me considering i know the engine is still fine and the transmission too. I really dont know what to do and some friends that are cert mechs ask me to bring it to them and I can't afford to be paying for useless tows because he will probably find out whats wrong in a heartbeat like usual. So im trying to see if maybe someone on here knows whats up or if they've had a similar problem. I really don't think its the grounds because it is getting spark if it wasnt the starter wouldnt spin period. Im out of ideas and I've done alot of research but cant seem to find anyone with the same problem. Also I failed to mention the heat guage goes all the way hott when trying to start. After charging the battery and replacing plugs/wires 3 days later or so when i went to just put it in the "on" position my windshield wipers came on and were very slow... Could it be the battery alone? edit* I was reading something i came up with it could be the rotor? here is something i found----
Hello,
I was driving home and my 90 Acura Integra just engine quit. I pulled
over and imediatley checked the spark plugs for a spark. (The car quit
the same way 6 months earlier, but it was a failed distributor) There
was a spark. So I towed the car to my house and checked the fuel. I
pulled the fuel line at the fuel filter and had a large gush when I
turned the key on and again when I tried starting. I also verified
there is fuel coming out of the injectors.

Thanks for the help. I checked the fuel pressure and it was lower
than spec, so I changed the fuel pump. But before I changed the pump
I tried starter fluid and the car still would not start. So I knew
the fuel pump was not the main problem.

I check the rotor earlier in the troubleshooting but I did not look at
it close. Since I had spark I did not pay much attention, but I
should have. The screw that holds the rotor disintegrated and the
rotor was spinning but not even close to being the correct time. All
that work for a $9 part.

My car did the exact same thing and it is the same year and it died just like mine and i had already replaced the distribator. what do you think?

Last edited:

rpalma001

check your fuse for the ecu it might have blown,is it manual or automatic my brother had a civic with the b18b and his clutch switch went out an did pretty much the same thing you are sayin but check the fuse first and see im not sure yours falls into my brother situation but its an idea

Last edited:

Boostn

5speed naturally. I have a NuStart remote starter/alarm so the clutch switch has been bypassed. I highly doubt this will affect it. However i think i will remove the Computer for the alarm until i get it running.