Starting Issue

tayone415

I tried looking at threads but couldn't find the right answer. Anyways, I picked up a 93 DA9 last July as a project car. I already replaced the starter about a month after I got the car, since it wouldn't start when it was hot. Today I drove from my house to the store which is about a 3-4 minute drive that's 8 short blocks. When I went back to my car it started and quickly died, then started again I put the car in reverse then died right away. My gas leveler doesn't work so I picked up a gas container and put gas in and no start. After awhile it started when I held the gas and stepped on the clutch but quickly died. A couple hours later it started and I got home turned it off and it turned on, then wouldn't start and couldn't pop start it. Put more gas in and wouldn't start again(car parked down hill). Then tried tapping the starter and it started (parked flat) parked down hill again and kept starting. Any ideas? TIA

RS01

I would check fuel pressure in the line. I am not that familiar with that year but an Idle Air Control valve will also act bad like that and cause it to die unless you keep gassing it.

tayone415

I would check fuel pressure in the line. I am not that familiar with that year but an Idle Air Control valve will also act bad like that and cause it to die unless you keep gassing it.

Thanks, but I'm not sure if that could be the problem, my car doesn't stall and once the car started and was driven I didn't have any issues idling even if not stepping on the gas.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
you say this happens when it is hot? by this do you mean at operating temps?

if so I suspect your o2 sensor is shot... a fould o2 can cause this exact behavior...

Also check spark.. a failing coil in the distributor can also be the culprit... when checking spark turn the car over for up to a minute and see if the spark fades...