Starting problems

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
I've have some starting problems with my 94 integra for a while.....pretty much since i got. usually when it sits over night ill get in the car and ill hit the key and it wont fire up. starter drive doesn't click or anything. sometimes itll happen jsut over night sometimes itll go a few days.

thing is the car has been stolen before. they cut all the wire for the ignition switch before and they had ben resoldered back but pulling on them doesn't do it.

when i got it it didn't start but the fuel pump wouldn't kick on either. so i read the write up on repairing the Main relay. so i resoldered the main relay and it worked fine for a month or so. then i started having the starting problem again.

i could get out jump the remote wire of the starter to the battery and it would arch pretty bad so i changed the starter and it worked fine for a while then the problem came back. cept i hear the fuel pump come on now so i dont think its the relay again.

weird thing is. when this happens i can jump the remote wire then kill the car and hit the key and itll fire right back up with the key. any ideas? i may just spend the 40-50bucks for another relay and give it a shot.

mark pones

Pones
kind of sounds like the issue i had.. do you have an aftermarket alarm on the car? and check your plugs too..

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I'm guessing your starter...

this JUST started happening with my car too.

real fix, get it checked out by your mechanic to know for sure.

Ghetto fix (my route for now cause I'm too lazy to replace my starter):

Carry a hammer in your car... every time it doesn't want to start, give the starter a couple taps and knock it out of the bad coil and she should fire right up! lol

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
I'm guessing your starter...

this JUST started happening with my car too.

real fix, get it checked out by your mechanic to know for sure.

Ghetto fix (my route for now cause I'm too lazy to replace my starter):

Carry a hammer in your car... every time it doesn't want to start, give the starter a couple taps and knock it out of the bad coil and she should fire right up! lol
i failed to mention this i am a mechanic M-F hitting the starter is nothing new to me. its not a starter problem. cause i can get out and jump the remote to a power source and itll start. then plug the wiring harness back to it and hit the key and itll fire right back up again. its a signal problem.

I've checked the clutch switch even had a jumper in it
starter is new less than a month old
main relay has been resoldered and fixed from the original problem that it had.
really not sure what else it could lead to I have access to ALLDATA at work and there really isn't a whole lot to the starting system on this car.

knowing my luck theres probably a short in the engine wiring harness bad thing is it doesn't do it all the time and when it does do it i dont have time to sit there and mess with it.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
:thumbs up

didn't know that. haha, okay, well if you can get a voltmeter on the circuit check for extra resistance anywhere in the lines. That would tell you if theres a break in the harness or anything. I know it's a pain in the ass, but if you access to ALLDATA you should be able to get a wire diagram to help you out and make it easier.

master_tech

ALLDATA sometimes doesn't give you all the data... lol. test by removing the connector (black/white wire) @ the starter and place a test light in between that connector and body ground, check it in the morning to see if your getting voltage to that connector when you turn the key to start. if not , start working your way back C126, C301, starter cut relay, ignition switch harness. circuit is not too complicated so you should be able to locate it given some time and effort. pm me your email if you need an electrical schematic.

Groundfx

Start with the obvious first, go back and check the wiring that was damaged to begin with. Chances are something didn't get hooked up correctly.

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
Start with the obvious first, go back and check the wiring that was damaged to begin with. Chances are something didn't get hooked up correctly.
well there was scotch locks used in 2 spots of the ignition switch says it was part of the alarm he claims. and theres 2 scotch locks to used on the clutch switch to bypass it for when it had remote start. my experience with scotch locks is it cutchs the wire sometimes. And when they soldered the wires for the ignition switch they did it on the outside of the metal bracket so i cant put the steering cover back on. so ima cut the scotch locks out and resolder it all back and see if that does anything.

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
ALLDATA sometimes doesn't give you all the data... lol. test by removing the connector (black/white wire) @ the starter and place a test light in between that connector and body ground, check it in the morning to see if your getting voltage to that connector when you turn the key to start. if not , start working your way back C126, C301, starter cut relay, ignition switch harness. circuit is not too complicated so you should be able to locate it given some time and effort. pm me your email if you need an electrical schematic.
i can upload the electrican schematic that i have when i get back to work. when you say starter cut relay the only relay in the starter system i thought it had or showed was the Main relay?? is there another one that im missing

and usualy when it happens no one is there and im unable to have some one hit the key to see if there is signal going to the starter signal wire. but i am able to check the ignition switch when it happens and i do have power going to all different sections of the switch.

Last edited:

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa

this is more of a refference for me.......so once i get back to my house.......if i still have a house looks like my town is flooded from all the pics i see i can tend to this problem.

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
i pulled that relay and sounds like it was doing what it does when it doesn't crank. got fuel pump and everything else. now i have it to where i can grab the relay to see if it clicks when it doesn't crank if it doesn't then ill change the relay but i do belive thats the problem. its the only thing that hasn't been changed.