starting trouble CANT FIND ANSWER

bigt123

hello I have an 94 integra ls sometimes it wont start, wont even crank when I turn the key, but then a few hours later it will start when I didn't even do anything to it... all the lights turn on when I try and start it so I don't think its the battery but the battery is from sept. 09' could it be the alternator or the starter? why does it just start whenever IT wants to /: please help any info is appreciated THANK YOU:)

Ryan659

The copper contact points in the starter itself are probably worn down if it's never been replace. When you try to start it, and it fails, does it make a single click and then nothing?

bigt123

The copper contact points in the starter itself are probably worn down if it's never been replace. When you try to start it, and it fails, does it make a single click and then nothing?
YES it does that one click.. I just bought a new starter from autozone should I try and install it?

Ryan659

I'd check the contact points in the old one before anything. $20 is better than $150 dollars

Nick_C78

The battery is 6 years old and you don't think that's the problem lol
I am with you on this one. Just because the lights and radio work do not mean it has enough power for the starter. Having enough amps to run a light is wayyy different from the amount required to run a starter...Hell a few AA batteries could power your lights man.

Ryan659

Whenever I think it's my battery I just turn the key till the radio is on and then turn on the lights. If the battery is bad enough, everything just dies :lol:

bigt123

I am with you on this one. Just because the lights and radio work do not mean it has enough power for the starter. Having enough amps to run a light is wayyy different from the amount required to run a starter...Hell a few AA batteries could power your lights man.
its from 09/2011 but okay.. and I did put the vultimeter its at about 14

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Still doesn't mean it has enough amps to crank it over on a day to day basis. Clean all the contacts, and if that fails replace battery.

Nick_C78

its from 09/2011 but okay.. and I did put the vultimeter its at about 14
Your first post says its from september 2009...now its from september 2011? Hows it getting newer?

Most autoparts stores can check battery and alternator for you free without unhooking anything. Granted it isn't 100 percent accurate.

bigt123

Your first post says its from september 2009...now its from september 2011? Hows it getting newer?

Most autoparts stores can check battery and alternator for you free without unhooking anything. Granted it isn't 100 percent accurate.
yea it was a typo its from 09/2011 and I did they said the battery nd altenator was good